Platies

matthew

Reaction score
i have platies fry in my tank i have managed to capute one and i can see afew more in there how many does a platie giv birth to? also i have a red tailed shark 12 neons and 2 platies and to algae eaters will any of these eat the small fry?

Thanks Matthew

Hi,
platys can have between 7 and up to 20+, the older they get the more they tend to have,
my neons dont bother the fry but other platy will eat them if they can catch them, the rts would too, im not sure what type of algae eaters you have so i cant say on that one, hth Donna :)

All fish will eay fry given a chance, but i dont worry and i get about half of the surive most the time, but large neons will eat fry and sharks will catch most of them.

Algae eaters dont usualy eat fry, but I've seen them do it many times over the years.

Helter

How large do fry have to be to not be eaten? I know it's said bigger than the other fishes' mouths, but that's a tough call. My fry are about the length of the brand new eraser on a wooden pencil.

our platty had aroun 8 fry the day after adding it to the tank, we spent 2 hrs catching them. we put them into a beeding net then added them to an established tank on their own they r now bout 1.5 cm and seem happy. we do need to take them to aquarium as we need that tank for a paroon shark, jewel cicchlid + blue dolphin that are being bullied

Lengthwise I think the fry are okay, but I think they can be sucked in to the mouth of an adult fish still. I should probably get another tank to let them grow.

Most reactions

Back