PLastic or ReAl?

Kitt_81

Reaction score
At present I have bought 3 plastic plants..will they be sufficient or should I get real ones? :dunno:

I worry about getting bugs/critters off them onto my fish as the poor guys have been through enough already (see previous posts)

Kitt

If you don't want real plants nobody should force you into having them, I do like real plants better than plastic plants everyone has a different point of view.
Mabye you should get some more plastic plants for your tank... they might feel more safer if they have more hiding spots around.

i believe that most everyone likes the look of real plants as opposed to plastic. i am this way.

however i enjoy plastic plants more as they require zero maintence and never die. they look "good enough" for me and my fish play in them just fine. it is for the reason that real plants are a maintence item which can go so far as to require co2 injections, constant trimmings, disease, death, and a host of other things that makes real plants not worth it in my opinion.

I personally like the look of fake plants...also they can be easily moved around when required and don't leave debris in the tank....also, the real plants I had always looked scrappy and had to be trimmed constantly....the fake plants I have look real and need no maintenance....if they get too much algae or too dirty I can easily replace them.....they don't need carbon dioxide or fertiliser and they don't introduce nasties into the tank....like snails....I have the 30gal with small unwanted snails that came from real plants.....all my other tanks only have fake plants (or none at all for the 75gal)...and have never has thse small ugly snails

Fake=No benefits
Real=Break down nitrate, more natural.

Try quarantining the plants in a large bowl with something like aquarisol or other meds that don't harm plants. Leave them over night or for a couple days and then put them in. I don't know about snails though -_- If you have a botia loach, I believe they eat snails :)

fake plants provide all the benefits of real ones as far as habitat, hiding places, stress relief and all that go.

it is true they do not help the water though.

My plants have never given me any hassle. I bought them, and planted them, and I trim off a couple of dead leaves every week, and that's it.

apart from my rose barbs giving my plants a hard time they are growing fine and :thumbs: no maintanance at all really... they look better and help your tank stay healthy

Everyone has their own opinions on tank decor - right down to those 'bubbling' divers and clams!
I always respect the opinions of others as I am a firm believer in sticking to whatever works for you as an individual.
I have tried live plants on many occasions and they have ended up costing me more money than what what they're worth.
I experienced the 'live plant' problems with - snails, being eaten, looking half eaten and scrappy, lighting problems etc - and in the end, I pretty much gave up.
I do believe that live plants do look more natural but I've yet to see a tank which looks as good as some that you see in books - perhaps specially prepared?
I now use plastic plants - though some of these as far superior to some others. I use the Hagen Aquascaper range and the likes of their Red Ludwigia can look especially good.
I have my Angels breeding in my garage and they lay eggs regularly on plastic Amazon Swords and Jungle Vallis.
My display tank also features plastic plants and they do the job of giving the fish shelter and something to swim behind and they do look good. I don't have to trim them, I don't have to worry about my fish eating them and I don't have to take out half dead ones and replenish them regularly.
One comment I will make is that the 'Plastic plant cleaner solution' which is available from Interpet, does not work as well as they say it will. 'Soak them overnight or for 8 hours - then rinse!' - no way. I tried this recently for the first time, even adding a double dose and I still had to revert to the old method of scrubbing them with a nailbrush to clean off the algae!
So Plastic or Real?
Real plants look more natural and do help with water quality, oxygenating and use up those nitrates - but they do come with their problems.
Plastic plants give a decent display and regular water changes will help keep nitrates down anyway. As long as sufficient aeration is provided, the fish don't notice any difference nor suffer in any way - the 15 years since I started using plastic plants is testament to that.
The choice at the end of the day is down to the individual and I wish everyone luck with whatever type of plants they decide to use.

Most reactions

Back