Planted Tank..getting It Right

sianuk

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
A few weeks ago i posted in this forum asking about buying plants on line,thanks guys for your replies and inputs.Before i commit to this there are a few questions i would like to ask as i am keen to get this right.I have read the pinned topics on lighting,co2 and the planted tank but i,m still unclear on what equipment is best

36" x 15" x 12" tank approx 29 uk gallons
fluval 305 external filter
tetra complete substrate with heating cable
sand substrate

Lighting... I am running at the moment 25w Tri-Plus and 25w Original tropical lamp= 50w for 29 gallons not ideal i know.If i add another 25w tube should it be another Tri-Plus or Original tropical or something differentThis would then give me 2.5w per gallon a little nearer the mark you think.

Co2.... I would like to add co2 injection with solenoid control for shut off through night time periods what in your opinion is the best one to get bearing in mind cylinder replacements and value for money for the control offered (websites would be appreciated for purchase)

Liqiud feeds... I understand these are required which are the best ones in your opinion

If there is anything you guys can add I am a good listener and will always take advice for those who know,your replies may take you a few moments to compose but your time will be much appreciated

thxs Ian

Hello there this is my opinion

36" x 15" x 12" tank approx 29 uk gallons
fluval 305 external filter
tetra complete substrate with heating cable
sand substrate

Same substrate as me and can't say its good or bad. Time will tell, but so far seems to be. Heating cable is a waste of money IMO but now you have it so you may as well use it.

Lighting... I am running at the moment 25w Tri-Plus and 25w Original tropical lamp= 50w for 29 gallons not ideal i know.If i add another 25w tube should it be another Tri-Plus or Original tropical or something differentThis would then give me 2.5w per gallon a little nearer the mark you think.

You have 1.7WPG asuming that your tank is ful right to the top of the glass and of course you haven't so you will have nearer 1.9WPG at a guess, which is plenty as you're starting out. Original Tropical lights are not that good for light and make your sand look pink. Interpet DaylightPlus would be my suggestion, so in answer you already have enough light for now and use daylightplus

Co2.... I would like to add co2 injection with solenoid control for shut off through night time periods what in your opinion is the best one to get bearing in mind cylinder replacements and value for money for the control offered (websites would be appreciated for purchase)

No idea on this one

Liqiud feeds... I understand these are required which are the best ones in your opinion

Tropica plant nutrition and also KNO3, KH2PO4, and K2SO4 using the EI method

Andy

So I take it you are going to do EI?

First off, unless you have already got one (or unable to return it), forget the heating cable, they dont work despite what you read. Spend the money on more important things.

Light - I would get another tri-plus tube, the light spectrum is better for growing plants. BTW the WPG 'rule' is based on US gallons, so if you added a third tube you'll actually have 2.2 PWG, this should still be ideal for a high light tank, but just letting you know :)

CO2 - The easiest way to get pressurised CO2 so to get a kit, something like this one would be idea and cheaper than anything you get in the UK. The only issue is getting the cylinder refilled. This is always the most difficult thing with pressurised Co2. Source a shop that can refill the cylinder now so you have it ready.

Cheapest way to add ferts is to do EI and by getting the dry ferts from Aquaessentials.co.uk which you then just use to make up a stock solution. Should only cost 10-15quid and will last years.

HTH

Sam

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
thx Andy, Sam for your input all your points taken on board. The heating cable is in situ so thats got to stay it looks like on the lighting side i,m on the right path but the refill of the cylinders could be a problem. Sam could you please explain the EI method and what it does

thx Ian

thx Andy, Sam for your input all your points taken on board. The heating cable is in situ so thats got to stay it looks like on the lighting side i,m on the right path but the refill of the cylinders could be a problem. Sam could you please explain the EI method and what it does

thx Ian
for refilling cylinders, try yellow pages, and bull#### it to the max, dont say anything about aquariums, just say its for drinks or welding or the like.

Most reactions

Back