Planted Community - Rio 180

Gandalf-LoJ

Reaction score
A few images of my new planted community tank. Back into fishkeeping after a six year break. Boy has it changed! I love it, pressuried CO2, overhead lighting, fantastic :D

Here is the tank shortly after installing my new luminaire lighting;
newluminaire-beforerescape.jpg

A top down shot;
topdown-withluminaire.jpg

After a few weeks, I felt the urge to rescape the plants in the center as I wasn't happy with the way they were growing. Here is the result;
fulltank-afterrescape.jpg

This is a great little plant, not too sure what it is as I got it from an online store as part of a collection. It was just a bulb then so I planted it and this is what's emerged;
guppyandredbulbthing.jpg

Some assorted tetra along with my favourite part of the tank. Really pleased how this side is growing;
assortedtetra.jpg

Same side, with a Guppy fry hiding among the plants;
guppyfry.jpg

Some Ottos;
ottos.jpg

Khuli under the read leaf thing;
khuli-redleaf.jpg

Peek-a-boo!
khuli-peekaboo.jpg

All taken with the camera on my phone so not too hot. I'll have to dig out my digital camera to get some nice closeups.

I'm reasonably happy with the layout now, but any suggestions are appreciated :)

Thanks peeps :D

The plants sure have picked up since changing the stock lighting. That has made a big difference. Now just waiting for my reactor / bubble counter and needle valve to turn up so I can finish off the pressurised CO2. Was yeast based before but it couldn't cope :( And as I already have a pub CO2 bottle and regulator for welding (hobby which I don't really do anymore) I thought I'd put it to better use in the tank :D

Hello, and good day!
I think the bulb you have, is a water lilly. It should sprout a few lily pads soon. If it is a water lily....

It looks just like the one in my tank. it will stay short if you clip the lilly pads off, or mine have about 6 pads each, and only 3 or 4 leaves growing out of the bulb.

Very nice tank BTW!

Adam

Attachments

• lily.JPG
    lily.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 50
lovely tank very nice :good:

i thought the photos were good lol

likkle guppy fry is soooo cute

Hello, and good day!
I think the bulb you have, is a water lilly. It should sprout a few lily pads soon. If it is a water lily....

It looks just like the one in my tank. it will stay short if you clip the lilly pads off, or mine have about 6 pads each, and only 3 or 4 leaves growing out of the bulb.

Very nice tank BTW!

Adam

Ahh pads, cool. That'd be really nice as I have no floating plants at all and as long as they don't get huge like the ones I've seen on ponds it'd be a nice feature, especially with the open top :)

very nice, yeah you can either keep the lily short and underwater by trimming the leaves or let it grow and it'll get quite tall and reach the surface, you should be careful with the amount of surface movement though if you want it tall, i have a trickle filter, the output comes onto the lily and the top leaves look a bit tatty because they get blasted around, you'd need quite still water for it to just sit on the top. :)

Well, time for an update as the plants have gone mental now! Wisteria is gone, was getting way too stalky and also got badly hit by some BBA. New addition is some glosso on the bottom now, it's been in there for just two days but was pearling after only an hour! Ricca is going bezerk too, really fluffing up nicely in the left hand corner.

The big red clump grows like mad, and is a very dense mat of leaves and roots, I just trim the tops to keep it manageable otherwise it needs no maintenance at all. I've started dosing EI now, have been doing so for about two weeks and it's certainly helped. Algae is almost non existant now, I just seem to get that green spot stuff on the glass which I don't mind as it gives the ottos and snails something to munch on.

Anyway, here we go, enjoy!

Fulltank.jpg

Amano.jpg

Fishies.jpg

Snail-close.jpg

Topdown.jpg

Topdown2.jpg

Bubble.jpg

Most reactions

Back