Plant Substrate

chimera_786

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What would be a good example of plant substrate. All i have right now is regular gravel. I want to have a nice plantted tank with a few plants which need to root themselves and for that i might need to add that substrate. Also, where can i grab a cheap reflector so that i can mount it on my hood?

What colour gravel do you want?

Dark - Caribsea Eco-Complete
Light - Tropica plant substrate (Mix with argos playsand if you like)

You'll get a good deal on reflectors @ http://www.warehouse-aquatics.co.uk

I just got some from their and they have excellent prices as well as reasonable P&P.

What would be a good example of plant substrate. All i have right now is regular gravel. I want to have a nice plantted tank with a few plants which need to root themselves and for that i might need to add that substrate. Also, where can i grab a cheap reflector so that i can mount it on my hood?

how much are you willing to pay? something like ADA aquasoil is the best but, while there is something like tetraplant which is cheap, but no as good.

umm..how do i know wat size reflector do i need? I have a 20 gallon tank and the bulb i use is an 18inch 17Watt. So apart from the reflector, i need a substrate of sand? wont that be kind of hard to mantain as compared to gravel and wont i need to add fertilizers for the plant growth?

you need a reflector for an 18" 17watt light, however I would go for a larger one as they don't streache the full length of the tube if you get the one for that lamp, i prefer the reflector to go right to the end and maximise my light.
Substrate; you would ideally put some kind of special substrate down like the ones mentioned above, and possibly sand on top, this will mitigate the need for additinal ferts, and I don't think its any harder to maintain...
Are you going to be running CO² and what plants are you planning on ?

Z

umm..how do i know wat size reflector do i need? I have a 20 gallon tank and the bulb i use is an 18inch 17Watt. So apart from the reflector, i need a substrate of sand? wont that be kind of hard to mantain as compared to gravel and wont i need to add fertilizers for the plant growth?

Most reactions

Back