Plant Id

WoodyAqua

Reaction score
Hi can anyone help ID these plants just cheap from LFS but i didnt ask what they were an now its bugging me??

Thanks guys

DSC00286___.jpg
DSC00285___.jpg
DSC00284___.jpg

The first one is Vallisneria, and the second maybe a type of sword plant thats not doing so well. (not positive its a type of sword though).

The first one is Vallisneria, and the second maybe a type of sword plant thats not doing so well. (not positive its a type of sword though).

Thanx, any idea on the 3rd, second has leaves pretty much like house spider plant and looks very healthy??

top pics is vallis
middle pic looks like Japanese Rush or the stalks/ stems on a Spathyphylum (both are marsh plants)
bottom pic is a swordplant (Echinodorus sp).
The sword and vallis should be fine but the marsh plant will probably rot and fall apart.

True aquatic plants are unable to support their own weight when removed from the water. Whereas marsh plants will remain standing up when they get taken out of water. There are some exceptions and the Hygrophillas are a marsh plant but also do very well under water. Also most swordplants are grown out of water in a marshy environment and many will have tough leaves and strong stems. After a few months in a tank they should lose the old leaves and grow new submersed leaves, which will be unable to stand up when the plant is removed from water.

1) vallisneria
2) non-aquatic
3) echindorous sp

So there selling non aquatic plants as aquarium plants in my LFS... Hmmm something not quite right there will be asking a few questions and demanding refunds.. !!

lots of shops do it. The shop sells plants that people like. You should always ask before you buy. True aquatic plants are normally unable to support themselves when removed from the water. Marsh plants will remain standing up when taken out of water. Hygrophillas & Swords are the exception and will grow in water and above water.

I was looking at petsmart plants, and they had non-aquatic plants along with aquatic ones. I saw some flower plant being labeled as amazon sword. They also had grassy looking plants with white along the sides.
But the owner run lfs only have aquatics.

Most reactions

Back