Planaria

Sussy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello, I currently am seeing planaria in my tank moving around on the glass. Its a 3.5 gallon with 1 betta fish and 1 shrimp. I have no medication on me. I cant get medication until september. I am worried that it may harm my betta fish (and i know it will harm my shrimp for sure). What do i do to get it out asap?

Well good news, its not planaria! i thought it was baby / juvenile planaria but its actually something called "rhabdocoela flatworm" which is apparently harmless to fish and shrimp.

Well good news, its not planaria! i thought it was baby / juvenile planaria but its actually something called "rhabdocoela flatworm" which is apparently harmless to fish and shrimp.

That doesn't go the other way around though. Your betta might find himself a tasty little snack.

If you see either worms crawling on the glass it usually means the substrate is dirty and the water isn't good. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week to clean the conditions up.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Most reactions

Back