Pimelodus Pictus, Any Owners

Thanks everyone!!
If it makes you feel better wendy, i spent way too much on the rocks and substrate and plants etc...i alos paid 6 dollars (us) for a bamboo shrimp, i am such a sucker :blush: I am not sure i am going to get a few of these guys any more but i will let you know, i will also try to get some pics up sometime tonight...thanks all :nod:

My experience with pictus cats is the same as Andy. I have 4 small cats, they have plenty of cover and have each found their own small section of tank they call their own. They will sometimes zip around and try to invade each others spots, which they will then fight on sight... their fighting doesn't seem to ever result in injury though.

During feeding they all come out of hiding together but only to fly around the tank at a million miles an hour trying to grab food. Once they find some food they take it back to their 'spot' where they eat it... then they do the same again.

They are still cool to watch though :)

Hi m8 you should be fine with the fish that you have. have had pimelodus pictus for years. They will only eat fish the size of Neon Tetra.A few journals quote that you can keep them singly but in my experience they are never very happy in this scenario and do prefer a few of their own companions , at least 4 should suffice.
Great i am so glad to talk to someone that has owned one! thanks for your response! I have another question for you, i have heard there spines on their "whisker" are very sharp. I have never had a fish i am afraid of before, but i still love these guys.
A.Is it going to be a problem taking him home from the fish store and getting him in my tank?
B.Am i going to be able to put my hand in the tank to clean it and move stuff, or could i get cut??

any help thanks :good:

I have kept these fish for years they are great they have a barb which can give you a sharp sting like a bee but I have never been caught so far, the other thing id try not to net them they will get caught up in the net and you will have to cut them out don't be afraid enjoy them they are great fish

Most reactions

Back