Pictus With Crayfish?

noclueman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm still looking for a fun addition to the tank, I have pictus and angel so I decided not to get the shrimp.

The fish store also sells crayfish that are cool lookin. I don't know how fast they are, I can't imagine they'd be able to catch an angel in their pinchers. But maybe this is a bad idea. (also I have tons of live plants, will it tear them up?)

If this is a bad idea, anyone have any suggestions for a fun addition that will get along with the others?

Thanks!
noclueman

Very bad idea, crayfish can and will catch dismantle and eat any fish they share a tank with, especially bottom dwellers. Inverts with claws should never be mixed with fish.

Good to know.

Thanks again CFC, you're always very helpful.

Very bad idea, crayfish can and will catch dismantle and eat any fish they share a tank with, especially bottom dwellers. Inverts with claws should never be mixed with fish.

The only exception I'd say are some of the shrimp species. The Bamboo get big enough to take a Piictus down but they're filter feeders so they don't have the parts or interest in that. :p

Seriously though, Crays have a surprising ability to move fast. They can shoot like a rocket without notice and snag a fish, and they do tear up plants.

As a point, while bamboo shrimp might not eat pictus, there is a fair chance that the pictus will eat the bamboo shrimp, especially as the pictus are out and out predators.

As far as invertebrates go, if it is large enough not to be considered food, chances are they will eat something else. There are exceptions on the invertebrate side (like the giant cameroon armoured shrimp) but when adding to a tank with pictus, inverts are generally a bad idea.

Most reactions

Back