Pictus With Cichlids

Nick16

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
hi all, im setting up a malawi cichlid tank and was woondering if these are compatible. syno's are good (my other option) but i find them a bit common and boring, i much prefer the pictus cats.

the fish i want to keep will be (along the lines of)... yellow labs, acei's, Ps. Saulosi, BN. so nothing too agressive.
my water is hard, and i have coral sand as a substrate.

I wouldn't do it personally as there is always a big risk of the malawis chewing up the cats whiskers (barbels)

What do you think of Hoplos? tough as old boots and one of the most active catfish species you will come across

Hi Nick
I would suggest you stick with synos as these will tolerate the hard water much better than anything else, although you could look at something like Lophiobagrus brevispinis or Phyllonemus typus, which are both suited to these conditions and able to defend themselves against their tankmates. I've seen them for sale a few times, so not impossible to get hold of. If you stick with synos, then S. multipunctata or S.lucipinnis (often sold as S.petricola) would be idea fish.
HTH
Martin

Most reactions

Back