Pictures of some of my carnivorous plants

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

elgecko

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Another hobby of mine is growing carnivorous plants. Here are some shots of some of them.
Hope you like them.

Dcapensis.jpg

Drosera capensis 'Albino' and Typical

Dparadoxa.jpg

Drosera paradoxa

N'ventrata'.jpg

Nepenthes 'ventrata'

S'Dixie-Lace'.jpg

Sarracenia 'Dixie Lace'

Sleucophylla.jpg

Sarracenia leucophylla

Sleucophyllared.jpg

Sarracenia leucophylla "red"

Spurpurea.jpg

Sarracenia purpurea

Ulongifolia.jpg

Utricularia longifolia

ceph.jpg

Cephalotus follicularis

Dlusitanicum.jpg

Drosophyllum lusitanicum

Dsessilifolia.jpg

Drosera sessilifolia

Pesseriana.jpg

Pinguicula esseriana

Plusitanica.jpg

Pinguicula lusitanica

Pmoranensis.jpg

Pinguicula moranensis - I hope it turns as pink as it did last year growing outside. The plant has only been out a few weeks.

Sminor.jpg

Sarracenia minor (Long County GA.)

mini.jpg

My little minibog with VFT's - Dentate Traps, Red Dragons, Typicals. Some Drosera filiformis ssp. filiformis FL Red seedlings and Drosera rotundifolia. I sprinkled a few Pinguicula lusitanica seeds I see are germinating.

longhorn13 said:
awesome plants, where do you find them? did you find them at nurseries?
Some nurseries carry some of the common plants.
Some Lowes and Home Depot stores also carry a few.

A good forum to visit is TerraForums

Wow, great looking specemins!
I love Cephalotus follicularis, I think it's the most 'alien' of all the pitcher plants. I used to have one but I'm no good at plants and it died on me.

When I was a kid, I used to spend hours at some local Marshland feeding ants to sundews and watching them curl up.

Fantastic!

Thanks for the comments.

SirMinion said:
Wow, great looking specemins!
I love Cephalotus follicularis, I think it's the most 'alien' of all the pitcher plants. I used to have one but I'm no good at plants and it died on me.

When I was a kid, I used to spend hours at some local Marshland feeding ants to sundews and watching them curl up.

Fantastic!

I really like Cephalotus follicularis too. I've had my Cephalotus follicularis close to 2 years now. A few weeks ago I got a Cephalotus follicularis "Hummer's Giant". The pitchers are supposed to get twice as big, up to 3". It will be some time before my new plant will have the potential to do that, it's just tiny now.

Snowie said:
Don't they need a very high humidity?
I grow many plants in the windowsill, so no......
but there are some that do require high humidity.

Lexxa said:
you have all those and not a single venus fly trap!!!! :lol: :lol: well u prob do but didnt post a pic
You missed it! :p

The last picture has 3 different VFT in it. My Dentate Traps, Red Dragons, and Typicals.

I also grow: Big Mouth, Cup Trap, Czech Giant, and Fang VFT's.

The pictures of only a small portion of my collection.

elgecko said:
So what can you recomend that doesnt require high humidity and is easy to take care of?

elgecko said:
Lexxa said:
you have all those and not a single venus fly trap!!!! :lol:  :lol:  well u prob do but didnt post a pic
You missed it! :p

The last picture has 3 different VFT in it. My Dentate Traps, Red Dragons, and Typicals.

I also grow: Big Mouth, Cup Trap, Czech Giant, and Fang VFT's.

The pictures of only a small portion of my collection.
OMG!!! i did miss themmm...lol :lol: :lol:

Snowie said:
elgecko said:
So what can you recomend that doesnt require high humidity and is easy to take care of?
Everyones conditions will be different, but here are some plants which I successfully have grown in windowsills:

Byblis liniflora

Darlingtonia californica

Dionaea muscipula - Venus Flytraps

Many sundews work:
Drosera adelae
Drosera aliciae
Any type of Drosera capensis
Drosera spatulata
Drosera regia "Big Easy" - I just received 2 plants from a friend not long ago and will be growing them on the windowsill. I have new growth starting on both of them.

Drosophyllum lusitanicum

Nepenthes 'Emmarene' (khasiana x ventricosa)
Nepenthes rafflesiana
Nepenthes 'ventrata' (Nepenthes ventricosa x alata)

Pinguicula esseriana
Pinguicula lusitanica
Pinguicula moranensis

Many Sarracenia can be grown on windowsills as long as they get alot of direct sunlight.

Some of these plants grow outside during the summer and only come inside late fall to early spring, but have grown well indoors at this time.
Make sure plants are watered with rain water, distilled, or reverse osmosis water.

To make it easy I would say just start with a Drosera capensis. Tough plants and usually very easy to get a hold of.
Where are you located?

Most reactions

Back