Pico Plant Set Up

Bufo Bill

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
One of my tanks is being shut down, as carrying buckets full of water up two flights of stairs is no longer funny. However my Cryptocoryne parva is too nice to just chuck away, so I came up with the idea of using a square glass vase as a little tank. This thing only holds a litre of water. The Crypt is in the centre surrounded by H.C. What would be a good fertiliser? I was thinking of that Tropica one that George Farmer recommends. I would like to add carbon via Flourish excel (I have medical syringes for dosing precise amounts of ferts). There is no filter so I was going to do large (ahem)water changes twice weekly. There is a complete substrate topped with a little fine grit (2-4mm grain size). Lighting is by a 9Watt Arc pod. Heat is ambient as the room is quite warm. What else should I be doing or be aware of?
Many thanks from Bill.

you might want to do 3 x water changes a week otherwise you may get algae. Tropica plant nutrition (TPN) his is ideal for heavier stocked tanks, TPN+ is better lightly stocked tanks as it also contains N&P. dose this about 1ml per 20l of water daily = 0.05ml daily.

you might want to do 3 x water changes a week otherwise you may get algae. Tropica plant nutrition (TPN) his is ideal for heavier stocked tanks, TPN+ is better lightly stocked tanks as it also contains N&P. dose this about 1ml per 20l of water daily = 0.05ml daily.
Cheers mate thanks for the advice. All imput welcome, keep it coming. I am not stocking the Vase with any critters, it doesn't seem right to me. Actually what started this idea was a quote I read in someone's signature on this forum a while back. It read something like " 4 Gallons is a vase not a tank. Buy flowers." LOL with the memory :lol:.
All the best from Bill.

Most reactions

Back