Picky Betta - Feeding Recommendations

Qny

Reaction score
Has anybody experienced difficulty feeding their betta?

Mine completely ignores flake, and will sometimes take a slight interest in pellets, but usually spit them out and let them sink to the bottom of the tank.

At present he is on a diet of frozen bloodworm (which I drop into a container and offer in smaller quantities) and the occasional fly which lands on the water, both which are taken ravenously. Should I be looking to supplement his diet with additional foods? If so, which are likely to be of interest? I don't really want a 3rd pot of food lying around unused!

You can try different flake food or soak some pellet/flake food with bloodworms. I had a picky betta but he changed when he realized that if he doesn't eat everything what's available other fish will eat it for him >w< Bubble (betta) still pick the better bits when other fish aren't around, but as soon as they realize the food is there and start to eat Bubble changes into vacuum cleaner.

Don't feed at all for 3 days, offer 1 pellet after the third day. Repeat if needed.

Some are picky... Just like people, they have their own personalities.

BRAND of prepared foods makes a huge difference! They put different ingredients and quantities of them into the food recipes.

Mine get Atisons pellets, they devour them. The breeder I got my stunning male Winter from feeds it exclusively. My other Bettas ATTACK the Atisons pellets (they were only moderately interested in the other brand I tried.

Mine also get supplemented with LIVE feed. they love HUNTING, live mosquito larva are absolutely destroyed, and clearly are the favorite (which makes sense, since that is likely the primary food they are adapted to eat in the wild). I usually just take a small jar out to my horse water trough, and take a jar full of the larva into the house before I scrub the trough out and change it's water. I feed then with an eye dropper... And even my shy Betta gets all cranked up and excited when he sees the eye dropper now! If I am doing water changes, I will occasionally put a Betta into the mosquito jar to have a free for all while I'm cleaning it's tank out. They REALY like savaging them, I'd imagine that would be a great way to get a picky Betta to start eating.

They also love Scuds! I have both Gammaru and Hyella growing in my refugiums, and the Bettas really love CHASING them around their tanks... I think it keeps them mentally healthy to give them a "hobby" and "cardio"

My betta don't touch flake.
Only attison betta pellets, and red frozen mosquito larva

Jackson was worrying me in his first few days in the tank as he wouldnt eat anything.
I bought bloodworm (frozen) and added that to the tank, but he seems a bit slow in that the Platies gulp it all before he actually realises there is actually food in the tank. :crazy:
he occasionally gets a flake or two if he's on the ball. :lol:
I do have to crush flake up though into tiny bits...keeps them all busy for a while. And i also have mini pellets...they last for ages as they just "peck" at them.

my betta eat anything i put in they seem to esp like my cat fish pellets for my corry's :D i think the corys end up eating the betta flakes i have :p

Mine will only eat Atisons pellets and frozen blood worm,try the Atisons I'd say it's the best pellet food on offer:)

mine love Atisons! as said don't feed him for a few days then try again, he will eat eventually

Most reactions

Back