Phosphate Removers

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

April

Reaction score
I'm trying Phosphate removers in my next step trying to eliminate my green water problem in my 55 gallon African tank. I have tried sooo many different things (filter floss, bleaching, boiling and removing the slate, water changes, fewer feedings, etc.) and I just cannot afford the U.V. Sterilizer even if it would work. I ordered Seachem's Phosguard. I was just wondering if anyone has used it before and what kind of results they had. I had my Phosphates checked today at my lfs and the reading is 2ppm in my tank. My tap water was about 1ppm or less. I'm guessing that is pretty high. (from all the stuff I've been reading and the guy's reaction at the lfs, lol)

So, anyone who's used Phosphate removers please tell me your experience with them please.

55 Gallon African Tank, unplanted
8 Malawi Mbuna
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
pH: 7.5
Cycled since February, Green water came two days after tank had cycled and was crystal clear.
Not in direct sunlight, but is in a room that is bright with sunlight.
Tank lights on maybe 4 hours daily.
Lit with two All-Glass Aquarium 18" 15 Watt bulbs)
20% water changes weekly
No additives except Stress Coat w/ PWC's
AC 500 and Aqua-Tech 30-60 Filters

Green water is usually caused by excess light or excess nutrients, so if its out of the sunlight its probably excess nutrients, ive never experienced it......thankfully.

You could try a 3 or 4 day blackout (100% blackout) depending on the dimensions of your tank a black bin liner may fit over it, or use whatever you think will work.

Before you do the blackout do a 50% water change, then blackout, and then do another 50% water change immeaditaly afterwards.

Best of luck with it.

I'm waiting to do that as a last resort. I will go crazy not being able to see them for 3 or 4 days. I'm scared I will peek too much and it will all be for nothing. I will do that if the Phosphate removers do not work however.

Thanks for the help! :)

I have used a product by Seachem I think , I honestly didn't notice a difference , but if your tap water isn't high in phosfates why not do extra water changes , that and shortening the light duration are the only things that have worked for me . Less feeding is next to impossible at times :/

Good luck

phosvec is extreemly good, it forms a fog in the tank which gathers it all up and removes it.
as stated above, the blackout would be best, i did this with green water about a year ago and it was crystal clear ever since.

Most reactions

Back