Ph?

Xtech

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

My tap water is neutral and soft, 2dKH and 4 dGH.

I add baking soda when the PH drops trying to maintain a 7.0 ph and add epson salt to harden the water around 8dGH.

Is there something I can add to the filter to help buffer and maintain a neutral ph, instead of always adding baking soda?

I was thinking maybe some crushed coral but that may be to drastic of an alkaline ph. I don't want to use a neutral buffer 7.0 from Seachem and add all those phosphates. I'll be scrubbing algae all day and night.

Hoping someone has something they use that works and the measured amount or weight I can use in the canister filter.

Thanks in advance.

My tank is a 125gal
Fish stock is:
2 Red Oscars
1 redhead (Bi-Fasiatium)sp?
2 J. Dempsy's
1 firemouth
1 green terror.

Thanks again...

here is a link to a water chemistry FAQ... explains a simple way to buffer water using peat....FAQ

Ox :good:

another link that may help is the one in my sig 'pH and KH' :good:

Thank you both for the reply and the links.

I guess I'll start experimenting with some crushed coral in the filter. Just wish there was a certain weight or amount that you can rasie the ph of how many gallons of water and degrees of hardness.

Thanks again.

Just use crushed coral or limestone in the tank. Put in a small piece and wait for a week. Check the PH and if it is too low then add another piece. Eventually you will get a nice balance or rock vs PH.

Most PH buffers you buy from the LFS are simply sodium bicarbonate.

Most reactions

Back