Ph Vs Bacteria

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Well, I am starting up a 10 gallon tank at my college in my dorm, and I am having a problem with the pH in the tank.

Added mature filter media.

Tap water pH: 7.6
Water in my tank (after ammonia was added 9 days ago) is now at 8.8+

I know the ammonia is what made the pH get so high, and that the water here must be really soft to allow the pH to change so drastically.

My question is, how will this effect the bacteria in my filter? As on day 4 of my cycle I started to see nitrite, but the days after that, as the pH had risen, I did not see anymore nitrite, and the ammonia level has not drop.

Also, how do I raise the hardness of my water here? Add bacon soda?

I am going to do like a 50% WC right now to lower the pH.

A little help here guys.

Link to my cycle thread: <a href="http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=306731&hl=" target="_blank">http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=306731&hl=</a>

Thanks!

-FHM

It's common to have pH swings in a cycling tank despite the hardness. Generally water with a higher pH is harder, with a tap water pH of 7.6 there is probably plenty of mineral content to keep the pH stable in a cycled tank. Now generally doesn't mean always, test the hardness of your tap water, but don't be alarmed with pH swings in a cycling tank.

A pH of 8.0 is fine for cycling, more acidic water will tend to slow cycling, again, in general.

It's common to have pH swings in a cycling tank despite the hardness. Generally water with a higher pH is harder, with a tap water pH of 7.6 there is probably plenty of mineral content to keep the pH stable in a cycled tank. Now generally doesn't mean always, test the hardness of your tap water, but don't be alarmed with pH swings in a cycling tank.

A pH of 8.0 is fine for cycling, more acidic water will tend to slow cycling, again, in general.
Thanks Tolak!

I will keep an eye on the pH here. It just came as an alarm to me because my tank at home never had a pH swing when I was cycling it.

When I measured the pH here on my tank, it was 8.8+, which was maxed out on the high range pH test kit, so it could of been way higher.

EDIT: The pH now is between 7.6 and 8.0. Lets hope it stays around there, but who knows...

-FHM

At my house, when I cycled my 55 gallon tank, I had a fairly high level of ammonia in the tank, but never saw the pH fluctuate at all? Would it be possible that the water here at school is just softer water with a low buffering capacity, or something like that? If so, what can I add to raise the hardness of the water?

EDIT: I just checked the pH again, and it is now at 8.4. I know this is not bad at all, but what concerns me is, last night I had a pH of 8.0 and in less than 12 hours it is at 8.4?! Any ideas on what I should do?

Thanks guys!

-FHM

Right, its pretty common to see the pH rise after bringing it out of the tap and putting it into a fishless cycling tank. First, the CO2, which was able to be in higher concentration in the higher pressure of the pipe system and is a mild acid, will gas off and allow the pH to rise. Second, the ammonia is a base, so of course this raises the pH if possible. As usual, these pH changes are resisted more if the KH is high and less if the KH is low (that's why KH is the "action item" measurement with respect to pH when looking at the two hardness measures of GH and KH.) If you happen to have the extra bucks to have one of the online places drop you a GH/KH liquid kit I'm sure you'd find it interesting adding some of these results to your logs both at school and then back at home later on. It'd be a good learning experience if nothing else!

~~waterdrop~~
edit: and I agree with all of Tolak's comments. You just have to mentally treat the "bacterial growing soup" period completely differently than the normal period later when you have fish.

Thanks WD for your response!

The next time I go to walmart or my LFS back at home I will pick up the GH/KH test kit.

Also, how are the bacteria effected at this higher level of pH? Does it slow them down or completely stall their process at all? Is there anything I can/should do to prevent this? Or is it nothing to worry about?

Thanks again!

-FHM

Now I am not too sure if the ammonia I am using is okay. It is 10% diluted and list no ingredients. All it says is that is contains no phosphate. So I shake the bottle up (really had) and bubbles appear at the top of the ammonia level in the bottle and they all disappear within 3-4 seconds? Does this sound like bad ammonia to anyone?

EDIT: After a quite extensive search on the web, I found out that the ammonia I am using is just fine. I guess I am just a little paranoid...lol :lol:

-FHM

I'm guessing there is a combination of things driving it up. Do you have a GH/KH test kit? Have you tried taking a glass of tap water and let it sit out then testing it?

I'm guessing there is a combination of things driving it up. Do you have a GH/KH test kit? Have you tried taking a glass of tap water and let it sit out then testing it?

No GH/KH test kit yet. I have tested the tap water right out of the tap. How long should I let it sit before I test it? Would a high pH, say above 9.0+ harm the bacteria?

-FHM

You know, I'm not sure on that one. Usually pH problems with fishless cycling are at the opposite end of the spectrum. I would drop an airstone in the glass and let it bubble overnight, then test.

Alright, thanks!

Yeah, I know the bacteria go dormant in the low 6 pH range and lower, but like you said, not too sure about the higher end?

Anyone know? :unsure:

-FHM

Most reactions

Back