Ph Minus

amitkumar

Reaction score
my water tank size is 110-120 gallon[3.5x1.5x1.5].I checked ph value.It was 7.2 and suitable for RTG arowana is 6.5 -7.0.I want to reduce ph value . I have JBL's PH minus . Can you tell anybody quantity of reducing ph value in my tank .

I see no-one who knows JBL's pH minus has answered yet, so I'll give you my thoughts. I presume there are no directions on the container? I don't know the product, but acid sodium phosphate may be the active ingredient? (It's common.) It may or may not tell you this on the label. If it is, acid sodium phosphate is mild and safe as acidifying agents go. Even if it isn't, you could work out a rough guideline on how much to add by taking a known volume of water from the tank, say 1 litre, and testing this with a small quantity of the JLB's pH minus - say 1 ml by volume or 1 gm by weight if you have a sensitive enough scale. You will see how much this changes the pH of the 1 litre of water, and add the agent to the main tank accordingly, to achieve the pH drop you desire, which is very small. (Because of the way the pH scale works, the bigger the pH change, the more difficult it is to get right, and the riskier!) If the pH adjuster is strong, a safer way to work is to make a stock solution by adding a known quantity of the agent to a known volume of water, say 10 gm or ml to 1 litre, and add this, little by little, to the tank until you reach the desired pH, measuring the tank's pH a few minutes after each addition. This is slow but safe.

NOTE 1: The amount of JLB's pH minus (or any other agent) needed to achieve the desired pH change will depend on the chemistry of the tank water. If it is hard and well buffered, (high alkalinity) you will need more of the agent to change it. If it is soft low mineral content) and poorly buffered you will need less.

NOTE 2: pH is notoriously difficult to hold at a specific level. Unless the water can be buffered to stabilize it, it will fluctuate naturally over time (e.g. days or weeks), due to a range of potential causes. You will probably have to keep reading and making small adjustments. (Usually after adding a pH adjuster, the pH will "bounce back" to some extent. This can be frustrating but is normal. Fortunately, most fish (especially domesticated ones) are remarkably pH tolerant, provided changes are gradual.

NOTE 3: The safest way in general is to make small changes over a period of time, say 2 to 3 days. However the adjustment you want to make is small and close to neutral (pH 7.0) so it will be very low impact. (I would feel safe making that change in a day - even in one "hit" - with any fish I have worked with, but I have not kept arrowana!)

NOTE 4: When making pH changes, make them gradually, always measure the change in pH that has occurred (even if instructions are given on the bottle!), and watch the fishes' behaviour for signs of stress. Badly pH-stressed fish can indicate this by changing from their normal movement, (e.g. slowing down), closing their fins, darkening in colour, lying on the bottom, heavy breathing, etc. If this happens adjust the pH up slightly again carefully, by giving a water change, or by using an agent such as bicarbonate of soda, until signs of stress have abated.

I hope that might be helpful in the absence of a simple answer! I may have made the whole thing sound trickier and more complex than it actually is. If you make pH changes carefully, you should be fine.

can i ask why you want to reduce it 7.2 is acceptable to alot of fish, and most acclimatise to slight variations, it can be more dangerous to the fish if you keep messing with it, i dont know much about the RTG arowana but i think your tank is too small as i believe they can grow quite large, or are you upgrading when they grow?

They can tolerate pH over 7.2, so I wouldn't mess with your pH at all. pH adjusters that don't bother to buffer your water are notorious for being unable to hold pH at a stable value.

Why would you want to add another chemical to your tank's environment that isn't going to have much if any benefit when it isn't needed? Red tailed golden arowana have an ideal pH of 7.0 Many websites state that they are best kept between 6.5 and 7.5 (various websites. Some state 6.5 to 7.0, and others state 7.0 to 7.5) Your pH of 7.2 is well within that range. I wouldn't bother adjusting it at all.

Most reactions

Back