Ph Level Is Low

nygin

Reaction score
hi,I have a 90gallon fish tank, with a 12in jardini. tank setup with gravel and driftwood and fluval canister filter. Temp is 72 degrees. I just did a 20% water change in my 90 gallon tank on wednesday and today is friday. PH level was at 7.0 now it reads 6.0. PH level drops down really fast and i do not no why. Can someone help me out??

note: i add PH up and the next day it will drop back down

hi,I have a 90gallon fish tank, with a 12in jardini. tank setup with gravel and driftwood and fluval canister filter. Temp is 72 degrees. I just did a 20% water change in my 90 gallon tank on wednesday and today is friday. PH level was at 7.0 now it reads 6.0. PH level drops down really fast and i do not no why. Can someone help me out??

Hello and welcome to the forum,
Can you please provide us with more info.
1)how long has the tank been setup?
2)what is your nitrate level? (because of your issue it might be good to check your kH/gH buffer levels)
3)what is your tap water pH?
4)Have you got a lot of bogwood?(bogwood will lower pH)
5)How often do you perform water change/gravel vacs?
6)how often do you perform filter maintance?

Keith.

Are you currently doing a fishless cycle? If so, you are having the same problem i had 4/5 weeks back...

My PH would crash from 7.4 to 6.0 overnight, once a week, during my cycle.
I topped it back up with Bicarb Of Soda to act as a 'buffer'..i continued to do this until my tank completed the cycle AND qualifying week and it has been fine since i added my fish/shrimp.

'Waterdrop' will hopefully add to your question, he's the main man with all things 'PH'.... :good:

Just looked at this website= http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile26.html

According to thier care instructions your pH is spot on.

Keith.

I can explain why pH up isn't keeping your pH up there. You see, chemicals like this will raise your pH using a strong alkaline substance. This raises your pH, however it does not address the underlying problem, and when the chemical gets all used up (when you add it to your tank a chemical reaction takes place between the acidic compounds found in a healthy aquarium and the alkaline substance) there is nothing in the water to hold it at the pH resulting in your pH returning to it's previous level.

pH up, pH down and other chemicals are only a gimmick! They are a very poor choice when you are trying to balance your aquarium.

Have a read of the article linked in my signature. It will explain this in more detail and gives a solution to the problem if you do in fact have low hardness in your tap water.

Most reactions

Back