Ph Going Sky Roof

Mercury2234

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a question regarding water changes...

Whenever I change the water the PH goes up...I use tap water, put the conditioner...then POOF PH goes up...does any of your guys put PH reducer in the bucket water before adding it to the main tank?

Thanks!

its generally not advised (unless fishless cycling) to use chemicals to adjust ph of the tank

a better thing would be to figure out what in the tank is causing the ph in the tank to be different than your tap

It could be just the CO2 "gas off" that you are seeing. The greater pressure that water is under when it sits in our pipelines allows CO2 to stay in the tap water in higher concentrations. Once you release it to the atmospheric pressure of a bucket or tank, enough CO2 will gas off that the pH will go up by a measurable amount.

~~waterdrop~~

It could be just the CO2 "gas off" that you are seeing. The greater pressure that water is under when it sits in our pipelines allows CO2 to stay in the tap water in higher concentrations. Once you release it to the atmospheric pressure of a bucket or tank, enough CO2 will gas off that the pH will go up by a measurable amount.

~~waterdrop~~

This was my thought as well. There's an easy test to see thugh. Take a glass of tap water and test the pH. Drop in an airstone and leave the bubbles running overnight. Test the pH in the morning and see what you get. If the pH is higher in the morning then you know that it's CO2 gassing off.

Most reactions

Back