Ph And Hardness Of Well Water New Questions

slowcountry

Reaction score
I have acquired new data from my water and I am starting a new post.

I sampled the water before my water softener and the results are as follows;

GH 375.9ppm
KH 214.8ppm
pH 7.0

I sampled the water after my water softener and the results are as follows;

GH 17.9ppm
KH 250.6ppm
pH 7.0ppm

I am using the API GH & KH General and Carbonate Hardness test kit to obtain my results. When sampling the 'softened' water, as soon as I add a drop of the GH solution, the sample has a light green, there is never a yellow or orange color.

I do know that both samples show a pH of 7.0. I do know that after the water sits the 'softened' water's pH will end up between 8.0 and 8.3. I do not know what the 'un-softened' water's pH is after sitting. I believe that the water as it sits sheds CO2 and the pH raises.

The question now gets to be, if the GH of the 'softened' water is as low as it appears, should I mix it with some 'un-softened' water to add back some of the trace elements that the fish need? My livestock consist of a community of fish. The bulk of the mix are livebearers with 3 angels, a few neons, and a few catfish. I have 5 tanks, 1 X 55, 1 X 20, and 3 X 10.

Unless you are trying to breed soft water fish, I wouldn't worry about it. If the pH changes after is sets, this tells me there is CO2 dissolved in your water. Don't panic however! The CO2 will gas off on it's own leaving you with hard water and a high pH.

Most water softening devices use salt to artificially adjust the hardness. In most cases this is temporary leaving you with hard water.

Hard water is not a bad thing!

You should have a look at the pH of you raw water after it sits a bit. Your hardness is a little harder than mine but I keep all of the fish you list using just tap water for water changes. Your softener is not removing any minerals from the water, it is just substituting sodium for calcium and magnesium. That has no benefit at all unless you are doing something that requires the salts in the water be easy to dissolve. Sodium salts do dissolve easier. Three is no need to add back in what you have not removed.

You should have a look at the pH of you raw water after it sits a bit. Your hardness is a little harder than mine but I keep all of the fish you list using just tap water for water changes. Your softener is not removing any minerals from the water, it is just substituting sodium for calcium and magnesium. That has no benefit at all unless you are doing something that requires the salts in the water be easy to dissolve. Sodium salts do dissolve easier. Three is no need to add back in what you have not removed.

Old Man,

You are suggesting that I use the raw well water before it enters the softener? By your comments it would be beneficial to leave the calcium and magnesium in the water for the fish? The pH of the water after sitting a day or so, ends up somewhere about 8.3.

I apologize for all of the stupid questions. I am trying to make the fish's habitat as healthy for them as possible.

Not to hijack the thread, but how are you guys getting ppm values for hardness? I have kits for hardness both GH and KH, but they measure in degrees. I understand degree measurements. These giant ppm values are confusing me :blush: .

Most reactions

Back