Persistent Cloudy Water?

rewd

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I work at an LFS and I have a regular customer who has been having problems with her 55G tank. She has a mix of cichlids in this tank, parrot fish, a severum or two which are all somewhat small/medium. She's had the tank going for a few months now so it's been cycled for sometime. The problem she's having is the tank is almost always cloudy. It's not really bad and is mostly visible when you view the tank from the side.

I've had tanks forever and have had my own share of cloudy water problems (mostly with new tanks) and for me a more rigorous water change routine has always cleared them up. She's tried that along with weekly 30% water changes and nothing is working. I'm at my wits end on this one... suggestions are welcome. I loathe the use of chemicals in aquariums but at this point I'm entertaining suggesting that.

Her water parameters are:

pH: 7.0
Nitrate: 0-5
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0

She runs what looks like two whisper 60 filters and she routinely changes the filters as well as 1 maxijet 1200 powerhead. Her substrate is basically just some scattered marbles with a few larger river stones.

Again, she does weekly water changes and even that is doing nothing. Recently she did like an 80% change and the cloudiness came right back. At the same time, she has a gorgeous 75G FOWLR salt tank going that is crystal clear.

Hi everyone,

I work at an LFS and I have a regular customer who has been having problems with her 55G tank. She has a mix of cichlids in this tank, parrot fish, a severum or two which are all somewhat small/medium. She's had the tank going for a few months now so it's been cycled for sometime. The problem she's having is the tank is almost always cloudy. It's not really bad and is mostly visible when you view the tank from the side.

I've had tanks forever and have had my own share of cloudy water problems (mostly with new tanks) and for me a more rigorous water change routine has always cleared them up. She's tried that along with weekly 30% water changes and nothing is working. I'm at my wits end on this one... suggestions are welcome. I loathe the use of chemicals in aquariums but at this point I'm entertaining suggesting that.

Her water parameters are:

pH: 7.0
Nitrate: 0-5
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0

She runs what looks like two whisper 60 filters and she routinely changes the filters as well as 1 maxijet 1200 powerhead. Her substrate is basically just some scattered marbles with a few larger river stones.

Again, she does weekly water changes and even that is doing nothing. Recently she did like an 80% change and the cloudiness came right back. At the same time, she has a gorgeous 75G FOWLR salt tank going that is crystal clear.

Ive had this aswell, for me i think it was over feeding.

Whatever it was it went away for me, and maybe it will for her to.

Another great possibility you must ask her is if shes overusing water conditioner. People tend to pour in to much, i know i did and still do, if you pour in too much conditioner the water will cloud.

Most reactions

Back