Periwinkle (Vinca Minor) As An Aquarium Plant

Kaliska

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has tried this.  I took the very aggressive vinca minor groundcover that will grow in most any land conditions including lots of moisture and I put it in water.  It was a conversation I was having with some people about using fast growing land plants to help with nitrates by emersing in the top of the water.  Generally it was just sticking a piece of root in.  My first chunk of periwinkle I threw in a bucket of water and it grew a new top but all the old growth died.  The new growth might root if I cut if off.  I took 2 new plants with about a 4" stem with leaves and started it emersed.  I slowly raised the water level until I have it nearly to the top of my 40g breeder.  The tips are just sticking out of the water and it only took about a week under slightly less than 1 wpg.  I'm not sure if the leaves at the top will get bigger and it doesn't seem to be putting out roots at the leaf pairs like it does on the ground.  Maybe it won't be able to propagate as an aquatic plant but it is surviving.  We'll see how longterm it works.

very nice, I have a submerged Pothos that is doing very well. 

Most reactions

Back