Peppered Cory Keeps Surfacing!

pjandnoo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
One of our Cories keeps "bobbing" along the top of the tank and collecting air bubbles. It will then float down to the bottom and as if "drunk" wobble about and stop still for ages. We caught it earlier lying on its back. Thinking it could be dead, when I reached in to get it out, cheeky fella swam off!! It has done this a couple of times since but it seems to be a cycle of the same thing!! I have tested the water for the usual things and all is within normal parameters. There are 6 other cories in there but they seem ok!! Ideas please?

When my peppered Corys kept surfacing for air (all 3 did it) it was an early warning of a mini nitrite spike when i had a load of ram fry.It wasn't a massive spike , so it may be worth rechecking your stats maybe.No other fish in my tank seemed bothered by it.

In your case ,as only one is doing this ,it maybe nothing to do with water quality.

What test kit are you using?
How many gallons is the tank.
How many fish and which type.

Does the cory look bloated.
Does he look darker in colour, or pale.
Hows the corys breathing.
Does he act listless and lethagic.
Once fish lay on there backs there rarely make it.
Does he have trouble getting of the bottom, or top of the tank.

It sounds like he might have a bacterial infection.

What test kit are you using? - API Liquid Test Kit
How many gallons is the tank. - 45
How many fish and which type. - 5 Penguin Tetras - 10 Minnows - 7 Corys - 3 Swordtails

Does the cory look bloated. - No
Does he look darker in colour, or pale. - NO
Hows the corys breathing. - Slowly
Does he act listless and lethagic. - Not really he can move about when he wants to
Once fish lay on there backs there rarely make it. - ;o(
Does he have trouble getting of the bottom, or top of the tank. - No

It sounds like he might have a bacterial infection.

He looks ok this morning, I left it sitting on top of the heater last night. All the other fish were buzzing around happily so I think I will keep an eye on my stats. I think Philak could be right as I did see a bit of a spike yesterday but that went quite quickly and It seems it just affecting that one fish so will keep a eye on them. I did read that some corys can be sensitive after a water change which I did on Thursday so possibly another reason.

Thanks guys

Ok.
If any changes get back to the board.
Good Luck.

Most reactions

Back