People that have no clue

GlosGraham

Reaction score
So the joys of social media. I stumble across someone's channel where they clearly have no idea.
I tried to be gentle in my words in the comments but he thinks his fish as 'happy'. What do you say to people that keep fish but clearly have no idea in terms of tank size and fish compatibility?

Just wondered if anyone has tried to help others and what you said without coming across as a keyboard warrior?

So the joys of social media. I stumble across someone's channel where they clearly have no idea.
I tried to be gentle in my words in the comments but he thinks his fish as 'happy'. What do you say to people that keep fish but clearly have no idea in terms of tank size and fish compatibility?

Just wondered if anyone has tried to help others and what you said without coming across as a keyboard warrior?
That is just sad... :(

There is literally nothing you can do with someone like that, online. (YouTube I presume?)

I have tried many a time to "help" someone like that. (Gave links, information, etc.)

You can try to give them links to SF or TFF and you can try to tell them what they are doing is wrong, but they will most likely snap at you saying "What they are doing is right, and they don't need your advice".

It's really sad to see fish in a state like that, but he may be thousands of miles away from you, or even on another continent.

I mean, every now and then we get someone like that on the forums too. Except then it's even worse in a way because everyone weighs in and says the same thing and then it's like, "welcome but you know nothing about fish here is your to-do list" and inevitably they always disappear pretty quickly....

I think the best you can do is to stay calm, non-confrontational, and hope that you planted a seed of awareness. People own their ideas and don't want to appear foolish. Many will defend the weakest of argument so they're not wrong. Sometimes it's best just to shake your head and walk away.

Last edited:
Just prod them gently in the right direction. Remember their tank is full of their babies and they don't want to be told that it is not right. The fish after all, are all swimming around.

I like to use sarcasm, like your tanks looking empty or that’s cruel they will be lonely in there , because when they argue there case of no my tank isn’t empty they hve a sudden realisation that there tabk is as packed as a can of tuna , but I find telling people only makes them ignore it more

Yeah, it's on YouTube.
He is in the UK. Northern accent.
I die a little inside every time he posts a new video.
I won't post his channel name. Unless you want it.

He has basically told me he knows how to look after fish so I have asked for him to do a video explaining his water change frequency and percentage and what he intends to do with the barb and when his fish outgrow the tank.

It didn't cross my mind about adding links to try and push him in the right direction.

Yeah, it's on YouTube.
He is in the UK. Northern accent.
I die a little inside every time he posts a new video.
I won't post his channel name. Unless you want it.

He has basically told me he knows how to look after fish so I have asked for him to do a video explaining his water change frequency and percentage and what he intends to do with the barb and when his fish outgrow the tank.

It didn't cross my mind about adding links to try and push him in the right direction.
Those Northerners are the worst mate. Where’s he from and I’ll tell you if hes the worst of the worst.

I'm an old fart who doesn't care what people think about me so I just tell it like it is. In addition to that we're all doomed and won't be here in 20 years time so it no longer matters.

Basically the tank is too small for those fish. Some of those fish are incompatible with the others. Their water chemistry (pH, GH & KH) is going to unsuitable for some of the fish. They should look for a bigger tank or rehome most of the fish.

Their response will probably be "I'm not listening to you"

Not far from me then, I'm from St Helens.

Used to work in St Helens. That's a side point tho. The guy also has a tiger loach from what I can make out....

Most reactions

Back