Penguin Bio-wheel filter

Greener

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
In my 25 G tank I have a Penguin Bio-wheel filter and I was wondering if I should just take the filter part out and put in a brand new one? Or should I stick the old one in front of the new one or something to that affect for a week or so to allow for the beneficial bacteria to transfer onto the new one?

I have the same kind of filter. I always just take off the filter lid, lift the old one out, plop in the new one and prop the old one in behind the new one about halfway down the water's surface. It doesn't look good for about 5 days, but I don't like to take chances. After 5 days I just take the old one out and replace the lid. I change it about every 3-4 months. I'm guessing I do it right, since I've never had a problem with it before (ammonia/nitrites), however I've been doing some stupid things as of late.

The Bio-Wheel is supposed to trap the bacteria guaranteed it stays in semi-constant motion (stays wet), but I don't trust it that much. If I am correct in the way I change the filter (someone chime in if you think I'm a buffoon), then you are right on!

Most reactions

Back