Pearl Gourami's Ventral Fin Is Split

October FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Sickbound

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm really worried about on of my female pearl gouramis. I noticed yesterday that her ventral fin is splitting and has a little white ball where it stops splitting. She still has a healthy apatite but she is acting reclusive and hangs out up near my heater hidden in the roots of a plant. She is still active but isn't interacting normally with the other fish. 

I tried for a good 20 minutes to get a decent picture and this is all I can come up with.

I haven't tested my water (I will get the water parameters tomorrow for you guys) but I have plenty of filtration and I do a 30% water change every Sunday (also no feeding on Sunday). 

I've looked really closely at her and I don't see anything else wrong with her. Her color is a little bit off but I think that's from being in pain maybe? I added in stress coat to see if that would make her feel better.

Temp: 79.3 F (It was a hot day. I kept fans pointing at the tank + one pointing at the light to cool it down)
PH: 7
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: ? (will update 8/15)
Nitrate: ? ( II ) 
72 gallon bowfront aquarium. Cascade 1000 filter + 50 gallon impeller (I turn this on after a water change, it helps clear the tank up. Also sometimes in the morning for an hour or so) + Mariland penguin biolwheel (50 gallon). 
Heavily planted
Lots of drift wood
River rocks
Sand substrate

stocking:
14 corydoras
7 cherry barbs
1 african butterfly fish
1 snail
1 amano shrimp
2 porthole flagtail catfish
1 3" raphael catfish
1 hara moth catfish
3 pearl gouramis (2 female 1 male)
1 albino bristlenose pleco
1 longfin regular bristlenose pleco
1 star light bristlenose pleco
(I know, LOTS of catfish! I love them!
yay.gif
} )

Could it be the african butterfly fish? They do scuffle sometimes (only during feeding time that I've seen) but he has only ever caused "harm" to my male gourami (nipped a fin but the damage was repaired in 3 days). The females stay away from him and he generally leaves them alone.

fin_zpsad869090.png

Attachments

• fin2.jpg
    fin2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 189
I did a water change on Sunday (8/11) and I'll do a 20% water change tomorrow. 

PH: 7
Temp: 79F
ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10

Should I put her in my 30 gallon tank and treat her with pimafix and melafix?

There are 7 Colombian tetra in that tank.

Don't think the fish has caused this (The dorsal of the male it did I think). Probavly some damage and a secundairy funngal / bacterial infection. 
I'd try to keep her in the main tank, do regular waterchanges and keep an eye on her. If it doesn't get better within some days you could use a med.

DoubleDutch said:
Don't think the fish has caused this (The dorsal of the male it did I think). Probavly some damage and a secundairy funngal / bacterial infection. 
I'd try to keep her in the main tank, do regular waterchanges and keep an eye on her. If it doesn't get better within some days you could use a med.
Thanks! The little ball thing and the split part of her ventral fin has fallen off now and it looks a lot healthier (aside from being shorter). She still looks kinda splotchy and uncomfortable but she still has a healthy appetite. She still won't interact with the other fish normally, though. Which worries me a little bit.
I appreciate your reply! : )

her ventral fins have still not come back. Se is still acting reclusive and shy. Her appetite is normal though! 
We'll be doing another 30% water change today.
Poor girl, do you think it's because of the other female and male gourami? She is the one that gets chased around the most. Even the female gourami chases her around (not nearly has aggressive as the male). It's typical PEARL gourami mating behavior. 

Could be the others are mating. Can you place a pic of the two females? Are there enough hiding places for her?
Having appetite is a good sign to my believe.

A salt dip(not a bath) for a few minutes may help stop the fungus. It helps in early stages. I can't recall the dosage from the back of my head now but you'll find the info online.

Well, her fin stopped degenerating as of a couple weeks ago, but has yet to grow back. Her appetite is still normal and she is not being reclusive anymore.

However, she has white/clear, stringy poop.  Does it sound like we need to do something about this?

Most reactions

Back