Pea Puffer acting strange and strange body

FreakAnimationz

Reaction score
I own 1 pea puffer in a 10-gallon tank. She has moss and her tank seemed clean. There used to be an issue with white stuff growing on and only on one decoration that i got clean. As I was waiting for my water to distil so that I can change her water I noticed that her back part was bent, and she was not swimming as much anymore and laying on the bottom. Now I have the water fully changed and she swam around quickly, but after a bit she stopped and floating back down to the bottom. When she was swimming it was eratic like she was struggling to swim due to the bent and I don't know what to do.

Attachments

• 1647353748540.JPEG
    1647353748540.JPEG
    143.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 1647353748882.JPEG
    1647353748882.JPEG
    215.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 1647353749475.JPEG
    1647353749475.JPEG
    217.6 KB · Views: 31
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

This is probably too late but when fish stop swimming normally and sink to the bottom, it can be caused by poor water quality (ammonia, nitrite or nitrate).

The first thing you do if any fish looks unwell is a big water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or until the problem is identified. This helps to dilute any diseases that might be in the tank, as well as dilute any buid up of waste products including things like ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

You should also check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and GH.
If there is any ammonia or nitrite in the water, it will be part of the problem.
If there is a nitrate level above 20ppm, it can be a problem.
If the pH or GH is wrong for the fish, that can be a problem.

---------------------
The fish in the picture also looks skinny. If the fish was malnourished, that could be a contributing factor to its behaviour (sinking to the bottom).

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

This is probably too late but when fish stop swimming normally and sink to the bottom, it can be caused by poor water quality (ammonia, nitrite or nitrate).

The first thing you do if any fish looks unwell is a big water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or until the problem is identified. This helps to dilute any diseases that might be in the tank, as well as dilute any buid up of waste products including things like ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

You should also check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and GH.
If there is any ammonia or nitrite in the water, it will be part of the problem.
If there is a nitrate level above 20ppm, it can be a problem.
If the pH or GH is wrong for the fish, that can be a problem.

---------------------
The fish in the picture also looks skinny. If the fish was malnourished, that could be a contributing factor to its behaviour (sinking to the bottom).
Sadly, my puffer died a few days ago thank you for the help though! <3. Her water levels were normal I even cleaned her tank and everything in it, but it was too late. From me searching through stuff she might have suffered from Fish TB (environmental mycobacteriosis) and when I got her medicine finally, she had already passed.

Sorry to hear about the fish dying :(

It was unlikely to be Mycobacteria. The fish might have had intestinal worms, or an internal problem.

Thank you for your condolences. I don't know what it was, but I know she was very happy in her tank till then. If it was an internal issue, she ate frozen dried bloodworms and happened suddenly.

Most reactions

Back