Parrots

My mom had a macaw named Rico. He was the funnyest thing you could ever see. First word was ofcourse hello. Then it got complex from there. Second word/phrase
What'ca Do'en? Then he would laugh! Literaly laugh. It was funny too. He liked to watch the Bozo Show. So he added Bozo to the end of what'cha do'en. He was quite a charecter. I recamend getting one :) They are so fun to talk to. I once saw a Cockateel Sing the Andy Grifin Show song.(i think it's griffin)

MrMashashin said:
My mom had a macaw named Rico. He was the funnyest thing you could ever see. First word was ofcourse hello. Then it got complex from there. Second word/phrase
What'ca Do'en? Then he would laugh! Literaly laugh. It was funny too. He liked to watch the Bozo Show. So he added Bozo to the end of what'cha do'en. He was quite a charecter. I recamend getting one :) They are so fun to talk to. I once saw a Cockateel Sing the Andy Grifin Show song.(i think it's griffin)
:lol: :D We might get one.

I have had birds for many years.They can be delightful and charming companions especially if they are hand raised as babies.I had a macaw that would follow me around the house and climb into my lap to be petted and play.It was wonderful.A tame bird thrives on attention and will give it back tenfold :wub:

A couple of things to note though.Macaws are an especially loud type of bird and the shrieks and screeches can be ear splitting.Also,they need to chew to keep their beaks in good condition and will sometimes mistake your furniture or your finger for a chew toy :crazy:

If you have a tolerance for the noise and are able to provide supervised play time a parrot will be a great addition to your family :wub: :wub:

Koda

Phantom Thief said:
I hope that duck in your avatar isnt one of those birds you kept :p

Sorry, couldnt resist that :lol:

P.T.
Well...I had to do something to keep him from chasing the cat :lol:

Koda

We wanted to get 2 budgies at one point and basically let them live loose in the flat. Out flat has an open plan area which would give them a lot of flying space. They would have had a cage that was open for them to live in or if we wanted them out of the way (during a party or something).

The only reason we didn't was because of the guinea pigs not sure how they would react. lol

~FairyAngelFish~ said:
Do lovebirds make good pets? I always wanted two of them... They are so adorable. :wub:
Lovebirds can be great pets.As with any bird,hand raised babies are more inclined to be cuddly.If you want an affectionate bird though,it is often best to get just one.Otherwise they may tend to bond with each other more than with you.And if they are mates they will be involved with breeding and nesting behaviors.My lovebird is a hand raised baby that I got at 4 months of age.He is very sweet and loves to play.I can hold him in the palm of my hand and rub his widdle head :wub:

Koda

We have two lovebirds, two conures, three cockatiels, two kakarikis, a galah cockatoo and an amazon parrot.

The lovebirds make great pets, but must be kept in pairs (gender dosn't matter)

When considering a memeber of the parrot family as a pet, it's important to remember that they are very long lived. A macaw has a lifespan of around 80 years and lovebirds can live to 25.

This is a lifelong commitment.

SirMinion said:
The lovebirds make great pets, but must be kept in pairs (gender dosn't matter)
Not to argue but....

It's a popular misconception that lovebirds must be kept in pairs.In this respect they are no different from other birds.They may do well with a mate,but can be quite happy with only the companionship of humans.They do thrive on attention as do most living creatures :wub:

I've had my lovebird for several years and she has been fine with just me.When I got my Bourkes parakeet I put the cages next to each other,and now the African Grey is also in the same room, but she still prefers my company :wub: :wub:

When the Grey's mate died I was afraid she would be lonesome but she is enjoying her new life and has become more outgoing and talkative.Birds really are more adaptable than they are usually given credit for :)

Koda

Koda said:
It's a popular misconception that lovebirds must be kept in pairs.In this respect they are no different from other birds.They may do well with a mate,but can be quite happy with only the companionship of humans.
Very true. Lovebirds can be kept singly, as long as they have interaction with their human or another pet.

Like all parrots, lovebirds are very intelligent and demanding of attention, and keeping them with a friend stops them getting bored when you cannot be there.

Another type of parrot that you should think about are african brown headed parrots, they are good with kids and do not skwawk much (in comparison to other birds) and may learn to speak. I've allready taught mine to whistle. and I think they look cool.

Most reactions

Back