Parrot Fish And Strange Behavior

tameem

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
One of my cute parrot fish who is definitely the most dominant one in the tank I noticed that one either side of the opening of the flower pot he uses for his home there is a pile of gravel, piled up in a mound on both sides. has anyone seen this before? why does the fish do this? He definitely does not like any fish in his home. Was just curious if anyone has seen this behavior??

oops, I posted twice on accident! I couldnt figure out how to delete it

Its normal, All cichlids will dig pits and make gravel mounds,

really?? we thought it was so cool! He did it right in front of both entrances, too. He seemed to have removed the rocks from inside the flower pot and put it outside. How come they do it, though? Does it bother him if I flatten it down when Im doing a water change?

really?? we thought it was so cool! He did it right in front of both entrances, too. He seemed to have removed the rocks from inside the flower pot and put it outside. How come they do it, though? Does it bother him if I flatten it down when Im doing a water change?

You may find that they are clearing the area inside the pot so they can lay eggs on the base of the pot, Although with Parrots little will become of the eggs as most males are infertile.

If you flatten it down it will just start all over again

My parrots love doing this - they will also remove any plants that intrude on their personal space, LOL. Sigh, with parrots and severums, my tank stands no chance of looking pretty eh?! :hyper: :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back