Parents!

Curiosity101

Is now at University! :D
Reaction score
They just don't understand...I'm trying to make my tank as self sustaining as possible before I toddle off to uni in September.
And at the same time I want it at peak condition...

So I say - "Im buying a filter for just over £100" Eheim 2026 if you're wondering
They say - "What? Why...That's silly" . I'd been aiming for "Oh right...here have some money towards it seeing as it's going to be my tank once you leave"

So I say - "I want to up the wattage of my lights to 2 x 30W...one of which slightly more towards the blue end of the spectrum" (blue because I fancy a couple of dwarf croaking gouramis) (More because I intended to get some nice red plants)
They say - "No way it'll just use more electricity!"

So I say - "I'm buying a timer too to make sure the lights are on for 10 hours a day, 2 x 5 hours with a 2 hour break between. So then we might save a bit of money and it'll help with any algae."
They say - "*Grumble* *Grumble* But I like it how it is. The lights are turned on at 7.30am and then turned off about 12 midnight" I'm like !!!!!!!!!! why did no one mention to me the lights were on for 17 1/2 hours a day!!!!
So I say - "No wonder there is algae in the tank! And alright then...set it to times you'd prefer. "
They say - "*Grumble* *Grumble* I like what's the point, I'd only over ride it" I'm thinking....what....

So I say - "I'm going to start dosing with liquid carbon and a lil bit of fertiliser to help the plants"
They say - "The plants are growing and inch a day!!! They're fine, it's a waste of money" (Well with the amount of light they get....)
So I say - "But look at the growth...it's spindly as opposed to nice and thick and strong. And there is some algae on there!"
They say - "They look fine to me"

So I say - "You know that cloudiness...I think it may be a bacterial bloom" (My tank decided to re-cycle for unknown reasons *sigh*)
They say - "Well I think it's the sand..."
So I say - "Then how come it got cloudier overnight when the sand hadn't been touched"
They say - "Well I think it's the sand"

So I say - "Sorry but the gold barbs have to go at some point"
They say - "You may aswell get rid of 4 now" Me: ???
So I say - "But they've all got to go eventually anyways and they're meant to shoal...you can't just keep two"
They say - "But I want two...you can sell 4 now and sell the other 2 later"

So I go and pour a glass of very cold white wine, sigh a bit, and type myself a nice little rant!
Hehe. Props to you if you read every single one btw!

Every word and to stick up for the parents, as most people dont, we are very reasonable people, even when our children think we come from another planet :D

dont even get me started on parents! my dad thinks you can have a goldfish in an unfiltered, little tank, he says that i have enough tanks, that it uses too much electritity and that the fish i have are boring, he says its a waste of money, "i know, i have done it" :) he used to keep fish but had loads of problems, he had angels in with neons, and every week got the gravel out of the tank to wash it. silly man.

my mom is kinda ok coz she takes me to the lfs's

i can understand some of the stuff they say, but they dont know best on this one!

Lol. You've just described my dad! He knows best because he kept fish.... all his plants died within days...he boiled the gravel every week...and replaced all of the water every week with no conditioner :blink:...But it wasn't his fault when the fish died within weeks... :no:

I even tried giving cheaper ways of running things...and I'm trying to put plenty of plants in and get all of the fertiliser etc things all nice and balanced so that water changes aren't going to be needed as often. Not that I want to get away from it...but just to make it a bit easier for when I'm away at uni for weeks. Might save a bit of water too. But no...I'm just being fussy and spending money un necessarily.

*Sits and pouts*

Btw truck...even if it doesn't, it's not going to hurt anything is it... and it'd lower the uber uber amounts of hours the lights are on if they were ont for a set time.
Plus...I think the fish would appreciate the routine... When my tank was soley mine, shortly before lights out (at 10.30pm), the fish put themselves to bed and...slept? Do fish sleep? They put themselves in the same place every night though and went a bit duller than usual.

Lol. You've just described my dad! He knows best because he kept fish.... all his plants died within days...he boiled the gravel every week...and replaced all of the water every week with no conditioner :blink:...But it wasn't his fault when the fish died within weeks... :no:

I even tried giving cheaper ways of running things...and I'm trying to put plenty of plants in and get all of the fertiliser etc things all nice and balanced so that water changes aren't going to be needed as often. Not that I want to get away from it...but just to make it a bit easier for when I'm away at uni for weeks. Might save a bit of water too. But no...I'm just being fussy and spending money un necessarily.

*Sits and pouts*

Btw truck...even if it doesn't, it's not going to hurt anything is it... and it'd lower the uber uber amounts of hours the lights are on if they were ont for a set time.
it will affect the plants, plants cannot utilize light in short bursts of say <3-4 hours

my mums like that she thinks you dont need fillters or decorations because she had 2 goldfish that lived for 15 years in a tank with no filter and no decorations
and when ever i buy somethink shes like why have you got thet its just a waste of money you could spend it on somthink better

We'd soon see...and it's only a flick of a switch if they aren't growing properly...it's not life or death...it's trial and error.

Btw...wonder what they'll say to the planted shrimp tank I have planned...I've mentioned a few times. Not found any objections yet... but then I didn't say I 'AM' getting it.

Most reactions

Back