Paradise Fish SBD

sef

Reaction score
I have a blue paradise fish (not yet full grown) who is currently in a 2.5 gallon Mini-Bow tank with mild filtration and a water temperature of 77. Ammonia 0; nitrites 0; no nitrates. I'm performing 25-30% water changes every couple of days...the intent was to cycle this tank, although now I'm planning to do a fishless cycle on a larger tank and relocate Chaucer when that has completed.

From the beginning, Chaucer has had some difficulty with his swim bladder. Every so often, he will start to bloat slightly, wobble a bit when swimming, and remain "glued" to the top of his tank -- having trouble diving. Fasting for a day usually clears it up. He is being fed a variety of topical flake, betta flake (as I also have bettas) and pellets, with Zooplankton a couple of times a week. I thought I had been feeding very conservatively, as I'm very aware of the potential for constipation with a largely dry diet, but last night he started exhibiting the same symptoms an hour or so after feeding a few flakes. This morning there is some very slight improvement, but he is still unable to dive or coodinate his movements very well. One thing I have noticed, is that he tends to gulp quite a bit of air at times when he eats, as he sometimes likes to "pounce" on his food. LOL.

Could this be a genetic defect to his swim bladder, making him a little more prone to this condition than normal? If so, is there anything I can do to help prevent it in the future? He's such a sweet, interactive little guy...I really hate when this happens!

Thanks much.

Hey moe than likely he is simply gulping air at feeding time the air is filling his litle belly so it presents like swim bladder desies,Get him some live food like blood worms something that sinks and see if the problem goes away,If it does than at feeding time hold the flakes under water to get them wet and let them sink.

Most reactions

Back