Panda Question

Cheez

Reaction score
Are some corys easier to keep than others? I heard that corys in general are a beginner's fish and easy to take care of but I also heard that panda corys can be difficult. Is this true? Also, do panda corys behave differently than other corys?

Most cories are treated the same and behave in a similar manor. Pandas are captive bred and have been for years so they are just as hardy as most other species. If your are acting weird there might be something wrong. Check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & PH. If there is any ammonia or nitrite do a water change. If the nitrates are above 40ppm do a water change. If the PH is below 6.0 or above 8.0 do a water change. If you don't have any test kits take a glass full of tank water to your local fish shop and have them check it for you. Some shops charge a small few but others don't. Get them to write the results down on paper.
Check the fish for any white or red patches, cloudy eyes, clamped fins (fins not sticking out), and see if they are eating properly.

Callichthyidae have a very broad range of personalities and sensitivies. Pandas are a wonderful Cory. They are cute and those with good breeding are easy to breed and care for. Sadly because of that they have been singled out for breeding in fish farms. So there are many in the trade that are the result of "puppy mill" breeding. The offspring of these are often sensitive and do not tolerate stress.

Corys in general are a hardy fish living 20 years and more. There are some species that don't travel well and don't tolerate stress.

It is not possible to generalize to all Corys, because there is such a broad range of species.

Pandas are one of the species that people most often have problems with because of the reasons given above. But Corys in general are an excellent beginner's fish. Keep them in non threatening peaceful community or species only tank with some cover and a sand bottom and they will give you many hours of entertainment.

yep panda's can be quite sensitive i brought 6 and lost 2, the other 4 (fingers crossed) are doing great, will add to them in a few weeks

Pandas prefer cooler temps than most of the other Cories.

Just to give the little guys their due:

I have a nice mixed group of wild caught and well bred pandas from a breeder. I have not lost one in over a year and have brought up a few of their babies. They spawn frequently.

I also have a nice group of long fin pandas from a reliable source. They are breeding, some of their babies have hatched and grown up in the parent's tank and I have lost none of them.

But the first group of pandas I got (from the lps) have been very sensitive, and I have lost them one by one over the couple of years I have had them. They have stayed smaller and never bred. I assume they are farm bred (puppy mill.) These pandas have shorter life spans are easily stressed.

Panda babies from my breeders
P1130485-pandafry.jpg

some of the parents and friends some months earlier
cories042-2.jpg

cories059-2.jpg

Thanks for the input guys! So are there other species I should look into that particularly strong and active?

Thanks for the input guys! So are there other species I should look into that particularly strong and active?

Two of the aquarium staples are Bronze (C. aeneus) and Pepper (C. paleatus). They're both pretty hardy. Of course, you still have to take care of the them and the water conditions. Even the healthiest and strongest ones will die from high Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate.

Most reactions

Back