Panda Garra (Garra Flavatra)

Velvetgun

Reaction score
I am a beginner. I would like to meet interesting fish, with particular character, that interact also outside the tank, with humans.
I am intrigued by the Panda Garra.
Can you tell me something more about him from a direct experience?
What other guests could I put that are suitable for his character, his type of water?
How many liters for one Panda Garra and how many liters for more specimens?
What type of tank should I set up, obviously planted, but then?

One of my all-time favorite fish.

Tank size and setup: I wouldn't keep them in a tank smaller than 30 gallons (113 liters), as they are quite active and like to be kept in a group of at least five. They do appreciate water movement, so you would want strong filtration, air stones, and/or a power head to move the water around. They do enjoy planted tanks, as well as rocks and driftwood to explore. They enjoy their water a bit cooler than many tropical fish. Around 75F (23C) seems ideal although they are quite adaptable to other temperatures. They don't seem particular about pH or water hardness, as many fish are.
Tank mates: Any of the peaceful barbs, rasboras, or loaches, especially those that enjoy cooler, moving water are great tank mates.

As a bonus they will crawl onto your hand during water changes and will eat a bit of bba.

Note they are virtually impossible to breed in the home aquarium as they are migratory and need different conditions for breeding.

Most reactions

Back