Panda Cory; Torn Tail And Dorsal Fin From Betta-Attack

Channti

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Alpha the Betta has lived in a 5 gallon tank in my university residence room since October or so with 3 panda corys. He has always chased them a little when they get near his food or his house, but have otherwise been fairly peaceful. I've never noticed any torn or nipped fins until tonight. My betta was repeatedly chasing the one cory, so I watched him a little closer. The cory in question has chunks missing from his dorsal fin and tail fin, and appears to be bleeding from his tail. I tried sectioning the cory off in a spare "breeder trap" I have, but the betta kept attacking the trap. I've removed the cory into a cup (like the cups they sell betta's in), so that i can get a closer look at his fins and have sectioned the Betta in the trap until I can check out the fins of the other two corys. From initial observations, it looks like only the one cory has been attacked.

I'll post pictures of the cory in a few minutes.

It is impossible for me to get to a pet store before Monday. Treatment-wise, I have a little bit of melafix and some betta fix.

Is there anything I can do for the cory?

EDIT: After picking up the cup and looking at the underside of the cory, I noticed blood-spots under each of the side fins (ventral? :S) and the anal fins.

Attachments

• DSCF3781 (Small).JPG
    DSCF3781 (Small).JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 107
It'll only let me post 2 images per reply, so I'll post a couple.
Photobucket won't work for me today unfortunately.

Attachments

• DSCF3776 (Small).JPG
    DSCF3776 (Small).JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 122
  • DSCF3777 (Small).JPG
    DSCF3777 (Small).JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF3778 (Small).JPG
    DSCF3778 (Small).JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCF3779 (Small).JPG
    DSCF3779 (Small).JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 105
I think the betta really needs no other fish in his tank. Sounds like he dosn't like companions.

What are your water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

Blood spots can be parsites to septicemia.

Septicemia hard to cure once it progresses.
You need an internal bacteria med.
You can use antibiotics but only in issolation as they wipe the benefical bacteria out in the filter.

The cup not ideal either with no airstone or heater.
I would buy alittle breeding box with a lid so he can stay in main tank.
Also septicemia can infect the tank water if the bacteria from the fish leeches into the tank.

I added a DIY airstone (Actually just a piece of airline tubing that I'd sealed the end of and poked holes in) to the cup after I'd taken the pictures.

Unfortunately, within 4 hours of posting, the cory was dead. :(.

I go home in 13 days, and when I go home, I plan to move the corys to my community tank at home.

Thanks anyway...

Ok.
Bless Him.
R.I.P.

Most reactions

Back