Painting A Tank Background

ginaekdal

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
After a quick consideration I have decided I want to paint the back of my 63-litre Juwel tank a plain black colour. I don't care much for insert backgrounds, I don't want to sacrifice space inside the tank, and I feel like having a black backdrop will provide the fish some additional security (I will also do roots and floating plants) as well as bring out their colours. My tank frame, lid, and stand are black, so the black paint will fit right in which is also important to me.

Which brings me to the question of whether I ought to go for a matte or a shiny black paint? Are there any reasons to pick one over the other? I can't imagine there is a massive difference but I figured I'd be better off asking before altering my tank.

Is there anything else I ought to consider prior to painting?

Thanks!

There is a considerable difference between shiny and flat (= matte I assume).  You do not want anything shiny that will reflect.  I use black construction paper on the backs of my smallish tanks which is the sort of finish you want.  This makes the background disappear, unless of course you purposely look at it.  But the fish, plants, wood, etc. in the aquarium will keep your focus and the tank appears to increase in depth (front to back depth).  This is also important for fish.

I've never painted my tanks simply because there may be times when I want to see through the back, but there is no problem painting.  Obviously make sure no paint gets inside the frame or glass where it might come in contact with water.

Byron.

Thanks, that about decides it for me! I'll do a flat/matte one that doesn't really get noticed. I did look at ways to fasten a removable background eg. a sheet of paper or something similar but I decided painting seemed the easier option. Obviously I'm not too worried about altering this tank as it is only a small one and will hopefully be a temporary one until I upgrade, so I'll use the opportunity to experiment with this one. :)

I use black chalkboard paint on all my tanks - an easy way to hide inlet pipes etc and the fish really stand out. Gives a nice matte finish - you dont want a shiny surface.

>>> I use black chalkboard paint

That is what I use as well.

he goes on a bit but this is a good video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqWAl5TpzY0

I use the window cling that you can buy at home improvement stores, just press on and press out air bubbles. Easy to remove in case you want to make it white instead, etc.

Akasha72 said:
he goes on a bit but this is a good video ...
I have found he does a lot of good vids, but agree goes on too much sometimes ...at least his info is generally sound.

Glad I searched the forums as I wanted to know this for a friend, looks like acrylic paint is a good option, especially with the easy removal. Thanks.

I can definitely recommend acrylic paint which is what I went with. Dries in no time at all, covers completely with two layers, and is very easy to remove. It makes fish and plants stand out wonderfully. I have it on both my tanks now.

no problem RCA - glad to have helped :)

Ah, good to know, acrylic black paint.

Have always used coloured cardboard for backgrounds to date.

Am planning to get another small tank and thought may try painting the background this time for a change just to see if its any better.

Is it just any acrylic paint or does this paint have to have any special requirment or avoid certain chemicals in the paint?

Obviously not to paint the inside glass, just the back exterior glass......

One can spray paint the background. Make sure you seal the tank well though. With spray paint it is a bit more permanent.
I have gone to acrylic painted backgrounds after watching the video. Its easy and cheap!

Most reactions

Back