Pain In The Butt Shark!

shelmck7

Reaction score
I have had to remove my black widow tetras and give them to my mums tanks as our red tailed shark was really bullying them. I know sharks can be territorial but have only just learned from the forum that red tailed are worse than red finned. My mum has a red finned which is lovely, really peaceful and at last our black widows can relax and swim out again rather than hiding in the dark corners.

Anyone else had really problems with a red tailed? I'm keeping a close eye on him as he might be taking a interest in our apple snail now.

Will he just keep finding someone to pick on? I love him really, he is so beautiful and active but hate it when he harasses others who get really stressed by him!!

sorry, but they get bigger and aggresive, btw what size is your mums tank and how old is her shark ?

I have had to remove my black widow tetras and give them to my mums tanks as our red tailed shark was really bullying them. I know sharks can be territorial but have only just learned from the forum that red tailed are worse than red finned. My mum has a red finned which is lovely, really peaceful and at last our black widows can relax and swim out again rather than hiding in the dark corners.

Anyone else had really problems with a red tailed? I'm keeping a close eye on him as he might be taking a interest in our apple snail now.

Will he just keep finding someone to pick on? I love him really, he is so beautiful and active but hate it when he harasses others who get really stressed by him!!

Might be an idea to detail your tank size, stocking levels and number of hiding places the fish have.

Fish are like humans in that even in the same species, some can be pleasent and others can be real *****. lol :crazy:

lol zuulan! Yep know what you mean!!

I have a 35 litre tank with 2 plants, a castle ornament (with a few access holes which actually the black widows couldnt fit in as they got too big anyways) and a small piece of log.

We have 2 male guppies (we got these after we gave mum the black widows though)
2 mollies (both female)
1 plec
1 gibbicep
2 zebra danios
and the shark

Mums tank is 170litre and her shark is about 6 months old

redtailed black sharks are fine in tanks which are ment for the size, for example i have a full grown redtailed black shark and he is the perfect resident, exspept feeding time when he will chase the silver sharks around but does not attack, you tank sounds too small for it this will exsplain the aggresstion,doe you have lots of hiding areas which it can own?
what are the tanks dimentions?

All of that in a 35l... :eek: :crazy:

The Sailfin Pleco (Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps) - Grows to 50cm+
1 ???? Pleco - Can't think of a single pleco suitable for a 35l tank other than perhaps 1 bristnose catfish (isn't a true plec)
The Red Tailed Black Shark - Grow to 15cm + and must be kept in tanks 200l+ to try and avoid agression issues. Even then some will still always be incredibly aggressive with normal community fish.

lol zuulan! Yep know what you mean!!

I have a 35 litre tank with 2 plants, a castle ornament (with a few access holes which actually the black widows couldnt fit in as they got too big anyways) and a small piece of log.

We have 2 male guppies, 2 mollies, 1 plec, 1 gibbicep, 2 zebra danios and the shark

:crazy:

Got to agree with Curiosity101 here. 35ltr is to small for a RTBS, I would take him out and maybe consider the plec to unless it's one of those small ones that only grow to an inch.

Most reactions

Back