overstocked?

Newguy122

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi i have a 12 gallon with 6 neon tetra and a honey gurami 1 mystrey snail and 3 amano and 6 cherry overstocked ?

In terms of bioload I think you are probably fine, especially if you have plants.... reckon some will will disagree with me but you might have room for a few more neons even; the more in the shoal the happier they are. Some people will quote the inch gallon rule, but other people will subscribe to the cubic inch per gallon rule; the inch gallon rule might allow you 6 honey gourami or maybe slightly more (not that 6 gourami in a tank that small is advisable for other reasons) but one honey gourami I would roughly estimate to weigh 3 or 4 neons.

Most people will say both fish species need a 2 foot tank for swimming in, not sure I do when you see what people is "fine" for an oscar or goldfish or whatever, so it might depend what your tank dimensions are.

If you don't have the fish yet and the tank is new, maybe don't add all together (I suppose I would add the gourami first then the neons later and shrimps last). If you have a mature tank with stable chemistry, why are you asking here? ;)

Either way you need to be testing frequently at least at first; smaller tanks pollution levels will fluctuate more; as such "beginners tanks" from the store are not for beginner; overfeeding will cause more problems if your tank is small.

you should probably wait for other opinions - because I would be inclined to way too fish in tank (as indeed i have, my tank is hardely bigger than yours lol)

Most reactions

Back