Overstocked Or Not ?

spikeyboy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
In my tank 5ft ( 78gallon ) tank i have the following fish.Do you think i am fully stocked or can i add more.If so what do you reccomend ?

4 F1 Cynotilapia Mbamba . 2m/2f

4 F1 Metriaclima Zebra mpanga. 2m/2f

3 wild caught Cynotilapia Afra Edwardi. 1m/2f

2 Labidochromis Caerleus. 1m/1f ( looking to add another couple of females )

2 Labeotropheus Fuelleborni. 1m/1f

3 Wild Caught Pseudotropheus Elongatus Usisya. 1m/2f

3 Wild Caught Melanochromis Johannii. 1m/2f

3 Wild Caught Metriaclima Aurora. 1m/2f

7 Pseudotropheus Acei W/T. 3m/4f

2 Metriaclima Estherae Minos reef. 1m/1f

4 Synodontis Petricola

A total of 37 fish

I make it 28 which should be fine for a 5 footer - 41 would be pushing it :lol:

The Acei will almost certainly make the tank overstocked eventually due to their adult size, especially Ngara (WT). You might get away with it with massive filtration but if it was me - i would certainly reduce the stocking somewhere closer to 30.

Some fish are still small, i can remove a few when they get bigger.Filtration is eheim 2217 classic External-1000l/h and a Rena Filstar XP3 External- 1350l/h.The water is being turned over 5-6 times an hour.

Dont forget the Labeotropheus Fuelleborni get really big, I would say your fully stocked and would also up the filtration to about 10 times.

You could do with cutting the amout of species and adding some females the Metriaclima Estherae female is going to get very stressed when they get to breeding size same with some of the others.

I`m on the lookout for some estherae females.I did have 4 but some small hongi i had killed the other 3 :angry: .I`ll wait till they get a bit bigger and remove some then.

as long as you have good filtration(your filter could pump the tank capacity 8-10 times/hour) and weekly water changes then u should be fine...This is coming from personal experience...I used to have more fish than that on my 75 gallon and I never had problems as long as I did my WC weekly....

Most reactions

Back