Overpopulation Of A 5 Gallon Tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ozymandias

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon tank well grown with live plants of about five years.  I had a population of neon tetras that have grown old and died.  I bought two guppys male and female (with the female being very pregnant) and she since have had 6 babies.  Now she is pregnant again.  How many guppys can a 5 gallon tank hold before I have to upgrade to a 10 or 20 gal?

About 5-10 adult guppies would be the limit for a 5 gallon depending on how many waterchanges you do and how powerful your filter is.

I agree, I think that the lower end of the scale is probably more appropriate for that tank size too.... 4-6 I would say if you want to play it safe and have less problems tan the upper end of the scale

If you have females in the mix, you're already pushing it. Most of them come pregnant. In five gallons, you can keep a few males (no more than five or six), but you'll really want a different tank for that female. Too many babies too frequently.

oh yeah... i completely forgot to mention that but im sure you know about how rapid the guppies are at reproducing.... They breed like rabbits! Actually, probably quicker lol. So yeah, if you have any females, chances are the numbers will have tripled in 6 months. And tripled is the minimum depending on how many survive etc

I only kept 3 males in my five gallon tank before switching to a betta. A five gallon really can't hold much :/

+1 for what guppygirl said, i don't see the point in having such small tanks

Oh yeah. And snails... And a nano planted tank. Ok i take it back

I wish I could have a bigger tank, but my landlord feels that 5gal is pushing it.  Thanks for all the replies....they were very helpful...

KieranBoyne said:
+1 for what guppygirl said, i don't see the point in having such small tanks

Can't fit a large tank in a small space ;)

Most reactions

Back