🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Teresa

Reaction score
I have a 25(UK) gallon tank. At first I had
3 platies
5 black neon tetras
2 panda corys
2 Dwarf Gourami

The tank seemed a little empty and only 3 of the first two drops of platies survived, so I added

1 redtailed shark
1 upside down catfish
2 leopard corys
5 (Baby) tiger barbs

This still looked alright, but that was six weeks ago and since then the barbs have got massive (about 2 inches) and another two platies have survived, the shark has also doubled in size :blink:

I know I am probably overstocked, I dont intend to add anymore fish, does anyone have any advice on probable problems to look out for? :no:

Right now the shark and upside down cat I am sure are small but they will get bigger. Then you will have to do something with them as they need room to swim and grow.
To be honest I think you going to have to keep up with the fitration system. What type of filtration do you have? I would hope that you have a good quality power filter or an external to keep up with the tank. Also you are going to need to keep on top of water conditions. As more fish means more fish waste and difference in water params.
It is not totally impossible to have a tank that is over stocked with fish. It is done every day, You just have to make sure that you dont cause water problems with them.
My biggest concern are for the cat and shark, wanting to make sure they dont suffer. Not real sure how big they get but I am sure they are gonna need room

HTH

Les

The book I happen to be using as a reference (Eyewitness Handbooks Aquarium Fish) says 6" for red-tailed and red-finned sharks (either one), and 3" for the upside-down cat. I'sn't that going to be a bit crowded on the bottom of the tank? :/ With the 4 cory cats, I mean. I know they'll grow to 2 or 3" each, depending on species/variety. :huh: Did you give the dimensions of the tank? That might be critical. BTW, this book says that a flowerpot makes a good hideout for your shark. (Those small clay ones that cost about as much as a candy bar :nod: ).

Also, from what I just read about tiger barbs in another thread
I have 5 tiger barbs in a community tank and they seem to have plenty of energy to terrorise everything else as well as each other. They picked on my female dwarf gourami so badly I have moved her to another tank to heal.
I might be concerned for those dwarf gouramis as the barbs get bigger and more aggressive. :sad:

How long ago did you buy the first group of fish (all at once or in stages?) and was it a new set-up when you bought them? If so, it seems kind of miraculous that they are all doing so well is why I ask. Thriving, from what you say! :lol:

You'll be pushing the limits of stocking as your fish reach maturity - but that won't be for a while...

As said, dimensions can be more accruate...

Try HERE for stocking densities using dims

As for tiger barbs - they got their name for a reason. I'd say 5 is the minimum number to keep them in - They like to establish a hierarchy and will attack other tankmates if ther isn't enough of them to keep it 'in-house'

:)

Well, I heard that you need at least 1 gallon of water per inch of fish.

Now this can become a complicated issue. For example:1 inch kuhli loach has differant needs compeared to a 1 inch Plec. And also How wide! must a fish be? per gallon?

Graeme.

As a general guide yes 1" of fish to one gallon,

As Graeme says diff fish - diff needs, but also type, size of filter, maintenance schedule, water changes etc. can greatly affect the no. of fish you can keep.

The above is a good safe starting point though.

Remember also that its the normal adult size you use for the calculation...... which means doing the research on the fish you want to keep... :) :thumbs:

:)

i have a 3inch red tail and it was more agresive when in a smaller tank until he got moved a larger one

Teresa. Time for another tank! Happens to all of us. I would separate the Tigers into a new tank. Then your levels would be good for both. Say like a 20gal.

Lila, I wouldn't put anything in a 2 gallon tank. But that is me. What kind of filtration do you have on it? I only say this about size because it is a wonderful hobby, and the larger the tank, the more satisfying for me.

Also, the larger the tank, the more forgiving it is for making mistakes. Small tanks, in the long run, are much harder to keep than large ones. Sounds crazy, but it's true. :nod:

Most reactions

Back