Over feeding

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CB008

Reaction score
As a newbie I fight the urge to overfeed my fish. The "books " say give them all that they can eat in 3 minutes etc. My question is that it is all very well if you are using flakes. I tend to use granules which sink pretty quickly so any guidance with getting it right would be greatly appreciated as I fear that I am still overfeeding

If you have bottom feeders in the tank then you have to worry a little less about that because they eat it off the bottom

It depends on the fish but I usually use 1 minute or 30 seconds. Where I don't have bottom feeders (and I do feed pellets) I assume anything that hits the bottom is too much

Fish are opportunity feeders meaning they will eat when the opportunity presents it self. If i fed my fish 5 times a day they would eat it. Fish can go days even a week or two without food. I feed my fish about every other day sometimes every 3 days. If your feeding them everyday chances are your fish are all getting plenty of food and there is no worry they are under fed. Overfeeding will lead to poor water quality and increased health problems far more than under feeding will.

Last edited:
I feed my fish every 2 days and no problem with it, overfeeding can cause a lot of problems in the future such as bloated belly.

When I feed extra heavy, especially with frozen foods, I just don’t feed my corries their sinking pellets.

I never feed my fish like that, because if you do, you will over feed them. I feed my betta 4 pellets a day and my zebra danio 1 pinch a day. I feed my shrimp, shrimp cucumbers and my pleco algae wafers every day. (Or every other day)

I feed my fish in sections 3 to 5 minutes all they can eat with flake and floating foods. Then I drop a sinking pellets on the left and the middle and right front of the tank after all the flake food is gone. I will rotate light and heavy days of feeding and actually will make my fish fast once every 7 to 10 days. I remember reading somewhere that it can take fish up to 18 hours to digest their food

Better to under feed than over feed.
Unless you are willing to manage the issues that accompany a plan that over-feeds, then go the other way,,, Give them one day with NO FOOD! I raise guppies and plecos... so I rarely practice for them what I am preaching here, but I also still give most of them a day off . I do feed to the max, to make sure everyone is getting as optimum growth asap.
I do NOT recommend this for the beginner or those that have any need to avoid some bit of gambling! It's a nice, fine edge to ride, this horse I have come upon!!!!

I feed my fish twice a day but in small amounts and also drop a couple of pellets for my cory. I do it at the same end of the tank. Several of my snails stay at that end to take care of anything missed by the fish.

You'll get the hang of it. Watch your fish. Watch them a lot. You'll figure them out. Can anybody tell me how to stop over feeding myself. Getting a little porky.
How I can relate!!! My dogs are on a diet, fish on diet.... you know, those that can DO , teach! Maybe we Write it in a book, if it works you can make a MILLION!!!!??

How I can relate!!! My dogs are on a diet, fish on diet.... you know, those that can DO , teach! Maybe we Write it in a book, if it works you can make a MILLION!!!!??
... those that can NOT do, teach (screwed that up the firstime)

Most reactions

Back