Otocinclus - Algae Eaters?!

paw-paw

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
HI!

I have two otocinclus sp. in my tank - they were bought to clean algae as well as to add diversity to the tank. But I would like them to clean algae...And that doesn't seem to be working...
So why don't they eat algae?
What should I do to convince them to eat algae?
I also have an unknown species of pleco in a seperate tank. I don't know if he would eat algae or not...But I am afraid he would hurt my guppys or otos...And I don't know how big he'll get so I was thinking of giving him away to somebody...

So what should I do with algae? There are really not a lot of them, just some on the plants. There is a small patch of string like, bushy green algae and I think some brown algae - or the plants are dry on the edge of one leaf...But the leaf of a plant with green algae is just under the surface so maybe that is why it was not eaten?

Otherwise the fish are now healthy (although they had a disease from which most adult guppies died).

In then tank (54 l) I have 2 otocinclus, 1 adult female guppy, bunch of guppy fry and plants. Should I ad any more otos or other fish? I would like to have some diversity...I like my pleco a lot, but I don't think I will be able to keep him :(

What fish do you think would go with guppies, otos (would like to add some color) ? Would any bottom dweller go with otos or would he attack otos or vice versa?

Thanks

You can add 4 more otos and then some ghost shrimp. They would both clean up the algae and the shrimps are really cool to watch :good:

If you get fully grown shrimp, it shouldnt be a problem. :good:

HI!

Would it be alright if the otos I add are not the same species? Would they school together or not? But I also heard that some ghost shrimps catch and eat guppies (also adult) so I am worried about that...
Is there any shrimp that wouldn't eat guppies and similar sized fish but wouldn't be in danger of being eaten?

Thanks!

Most reactions

Back