Oscar

joshrm115

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
HEY every one I have had my Oscar for about 10 months now any he is only about 6 inches long when I got him I would say he was about 4 and 1/2 why is he still so small///////// 100g tank 1 Oscar 1 red devil 1 Texas and 1 rain bow shark and its a peace full tank believe it or not. I feed shrimp pellets every other day and 10 live gold fish once every 2 months is it me? or is he super small

I'ts the diet - goldfish have very few nutrients and are not really suitable food.

Oscars (and your other fish) need a varied diet that includes veg as well. My Oscars get: Tetra Prima, frozen bloodworm, chopped prawns, spirulina pellets and a mix of algae wafers and carnivore pellets (not all at once!) Oh and some shreds of chicken or turkey once every now and then as a treat (cooked)

agree, mine has a staple diet of cichlid sticks ( tetra doromin) then he has prawn, peas and anything else laying about really.. yours should have grown a heck of a lot more by now.. start feeding him right and watch him gro :)

Agreed with Shelagh and Indigoj, they need a good staple cichlid pellet, at least once a day and at that size, I would say twice a day, plus regular frozen or live bloodworm, shrimp, prawn. Goldfish offer no nutritional value at all, most feeder fish dont, only those that you raise yourself and feed good quality foods.

from my experience its more about a stable high quality pellet i find best is Hikari Cichlid (Red) or Hikari Carnivore/Massivore then use other live frozen foods as ur variation

just a note on goldfish these fish have high contents of fatty acids and other stuff which is not really ideal for your oscar, try using something like rosy reds or minnows as these are much more nutritious

different oscars i have found grow at there own rate as they obviously eat at there own rate

:good:

just a note on goldfish these fish have high contents of fatty acids and other stuff which is not really ideal for your oscar, try using something like rosy reds or minnows as these are much more nutritious

Both goldfish and rosy red minnows are full of fatty acids,
They also contain a enzyme called thiamese which destroys vitamin B in fish and animals (turtles etc) and causes them to become stunted.

In this case the Oscar may also not be growing due to a dominance issue, caused by the hormones being released by the other cichlids.
The Oscar is most likely to be the least dominant in the tank and I would asssume the Red Devil and Texas are growing quicker???

yyyyyyyaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy mags your back :)

lovely to see you :)
hows rosey? have you got some pics of her?

really lovely to see you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Most reactions

Back