Oscar With What Cichlid?

HODDY

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi read another post but was mianly about gt's with oscars.

Was wondering if any of these would be good with a oscar..

* severums
*jack dempseys
* parrot fish

Also,if i had a pair of oscars and a pair of one of the above. Would they be ok? If they were in the correct tank size .

Thanks,Ben.

* severums
*jack dempseys
* parrot fish

Also,if i had a pair of oscars and a pair of one of the above. Would they be ok? If they were in the correct tank size .

Thanks,Ben.

Except for the Parrots, I had some 15" Oscars in with my breeding Severums..... Breeding Blue Acara..... Silver dollars...... Some Spiney eels...... a Sunfish; 2 Tinfoil Barbs; about 4 fully grown Convicts.... Fully grown Pink Kissers and an unussually big Blue Botia. They were just one big happy family.... (no plants though, but a nice rocky arrangement).

i have tinfoils/silver sharks/plecs/HAD A SEVERUM which was fine with oscars but another cichlid killed him,

yes you could but it all depends on tank size :unsure:

This is the key... size is needed for these fish... o's can reach 16" with sevs easily reaching 12"+.... JD's will max out 8" for an adult male but they can be as aggressive and territorial as all other cichlids. I would prob go for atleast a 125G for one of each species along with dithers like silver sharks or sd's

Ox :good:

i have tinfoils/silver sharks/plecs/HAD A SEVERUM which was fine with oscars but another cichlid killed him,

yes you could but it all depends on tank size :unsure:

This is the key... size is needed for these fish... o's can reach 16" with sevs easily reaching 12"+.... JD's will max out 8" for an adult male but they can be as aggressive and territorial as all other cichlids. I would prob go for atleast a 125G for one of each species along with dithers like silver sharks or sd's

i think ox has made a valid point however i dont utlilize the same principle a 125g(uk) could have more fish in if the aquascape is right however its always down to temperment,filtration,husbandry and imo luck with cichlids and that is the nature of the beast,

well in a 125UK Gallon tank you have more room as well... my fault for not indicating, but I meant 125US Gallons... as Im in america.... 125UK Gallons is actually 150US gallons... and i guess I should say I like to leave my tanks understocked if I can so my stocking is always towards the light side, especially when dealing with aggressive fish... ie my 125US Gallon tank hase an adult male JD, two Juve sevs (~3.5") plus dithers (sd's, giant danios, pleco).

* severums
*jack dempseys
* parrot fish

Thanks,Ben.

Except for the Parrots, I had some 15" Oscars in with my breeding Severums..... Breeding Blue Acara..... Silver dollars...... Some Spiney eels...... a Sunfish; 2 Tinfoil Barbs; about 4 fully grown Convicts.... Fully grown Pink Kissers and an unussually big Blue Botia. They were just one big happy family.... (no plants though, but a nice rocky arrangement).

Forgot to mention, I also had a 12" black shark in there.

Most reactions

Back