Options For An African Cichlid Tank

Snake42490

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i have a 40 gallon tank that has a Melanochromis Auratus i will be putting two more of him at the most. what are my options for fish i could find at the local stores to put in with him? I have petricola in my other tank and love them.. also love the price... not haha.. well i dont mind a couple other syno species but who knows. at the local stores there are mainly spotted pictus. would those work? they seem like they could defend there own in a cichlid tank. other then that.. plecos sharks and corys.. any ideas greatly appreciated ! thanks..

No Cories. They are defenseless and prefer soft water.

Synos are the African Cats.

Some people put clown Loaches or Plecs in. I have clowns in my Tanganyikan Rift with fronts, compressiceps, and multi Synos, but I am sorry I did it now. It is not their natural water ph, and I worry that it is hard on them. But it gives me a good excuse to feed my MTS with a clown tank before I die. :hey:

would the spotted pictus work then or would that be a no as well? i think i found a guy to go in and split on some petricola.. i only need 3 or so. do want to get a ton. but yeah thanks! after probably thinking about that i believe pictus like some salt and a lower ph.. my guess would be no it wont work. but im for sure no expert on that haha. thanks Seth

I got two small size Syno 4" at the LPS (a true locally owned pet store.) I have never been able to ID them, but they are a fine little Catfish for one of my front tanks. I also have pets (dwarf and regular) ahd multis. They all 3 cost more and are harder to get. Talk to the more knowledgeable in your local decent lps and see what they can get you. You should be able to come up with something.

I don't know anything about pictus cats. Also folks put plecs in African tanks. I personnally feel the same about that as with the loaches. But that is just me. Others say it works fine. I am skeptical.

I actually have 4 small pictus cats in my african tank. They were freebees and it was a what the heck moment, but I like the little guys, and they haven't had any issues that I've noticed, other than they spend so much time playing in the caves that I almost never see them.

haha thanks.. i was hoping to do the synodontis petricola but none of the local stores will ship them in.. its terrible.. any of you know some good online places i could get some? i live in the US so no UK places haha.. thanks Seth i would also do the mulits..

The fishery of Louisville

Rick Hiser 502-797-4830
Chris Hiser 502-609-4865
here
They may not have any, but best to call them or email to find out what is in stock.

Also aquariaman has tank bred dwarf pets aka S.lucipinnus fishfishfish says my dwarfs aren't pets, but PlanetCatfish says they are. :)
[email protected]

Also AquaBid
AB Syno auctions

Most reactions

Back