Options For A 15 Gallon

14gtr14

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Some of you may have read that i have a 15 gallon fry tank that'll be free in a month or so and that i was going to turn it into a species tank. I had four options: Apisto breeding tank, puffers, Shell-dwelling cichlids, gobies. Someone then said that brackish could be an option!

What options would i have for a 15 gallon brackish. I like the idea of puffers + bbg. But am not really in the know of BW. One thing though is that i dont think i'd want it to be just one fish. I would like to see the interaction between others of its species....but it depends. If i'm convinced that one fish will be really interesting on it's own i might do that.

Suggetions/opinions would be great!

Thanks
14gtr14

15 gallons isn't a huge amount of space, but one thing I'd consider would be a mixed tank with various gobies, Amano shrimps, olive nerites, and perhaps a few dwarf mosquitofish (Heterandria formosa). SG 1.003 would suit these all very well. Decorate with some marine-looking rocks, empty barnancle and oyster shells, seashells, and make a substrate of crushed seashells/mussel shells and river sand. Would look like a small rockpool, but without the hardwork of an actual marine tank.

Brackish is easy. The pinned topics cover many important points, and my FAQ has some more detailed stuff on suitable species and other issues.

Cheers,

Neale

If your near the sea(or even if your not), you could go for a high end brackish tank, with some native gobies....They get quite big, so i dont know how many you could have in your tank, but would look ace, and would also be fun catching them, and having some wild gobies :hey: :good:
Or you could go with neale idea, would look very effective, and simple.

Mikey

I would personally do 1 figure 8 puffer plus some bumblebee gobies, you can't really go wrong with that combo. A 15 gallon tank obviously isn't that spacious, so provide some live plants or something for stimulation to avoid puffer boredom.

If your near the sea(or even if your not), you could go for a high end brackish tank, with some native gobies....They get quite big, so i dont know how many you could have in your tank, but would look ace, and would also be fun catching them, and having some wild gobies :hey: :good:
Or you could go with neale idea, would look very effective, and simple.

Mikey

haha! that would be good!! I'm not too far from the coast, but i think i know what i'm going to do now: I heavily planted indian dwarf puffer biotope.

thanks for all your opinions anyway, I'm going to wait until i have a bigger tank free to attempt brackish. Maybe some archer fish in the future! :-(

cheers :good: 14gtr14

Most reactions

Back