Oppose Hr 669

Tolak

Gun Toting Lunatic
Reaction score
The Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act (H.R. 669), introduced by Del. Madeleine Bordallo (D-Guam) Chair of the Subcommittee on Insular Affairs, Oceans and Wildlife of the House Natural Resources Committee
would totally revamp how nonnative species are regulated under the Lacey Act.

Species not appearing on the “Approved List” could not be imported into the United States; therefore, all unapproved nonnative species could not be moved interstate. In addition, trade in all such unlisted species would
come to a halt – possession would be limited and all breeding would cease. Unless those species are included on the approved list import, export, transport, and breeding would be prohibited. Exceptions are limited and would not be available to pet owners across the nation.

[URL="http://www.pijac.org/files/public/US_HR_669.pdf"]http://www.pijac.org/files/public/US_HR_669.pdf[/URL]

This basically means that if passed the possession, trade or breeding of any non-native species, (tropical fish in the US) not on the allowed list would be illegal.

The full text of the bill; [URL="http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/ge...:h669ih.txt.pdf"]http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/ge...:h669ih.txt.pdf[/URL]

Should HR669 be adopted as written only the following nonnative animals
would be allowed:

any cat (Felis catus)
cattle or oxen (Bos taurus)
chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus)
dog (Canis lupus familiaris)
donkey or *** (Equus asinus)
domesticated members of the family Anatidae (geese)
duck (domesticated Anas spp.)
goat (Capra aegagrus hircus)
goldfish (Carassius auratus auratus)
horse (Equus caballus)
llama (Lama glama)
mule or hinny (Equus caballus x E. asinus)
pig or hog (Sus scrofa domestica)
domesticated varieties of rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus)
sheep (Ovis aries)

The Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council gave a good argument last summer as to why a bill similar to this will not work as intended in it's current form; [URL="http://www.pijac.org/files/public/HR6311_MM_Testimony.pdf"]http://www.pijac.org/files/public/HR6311_MM_Testimony.pdf[/URL]

Vote here; [URL="http://www.govit.com/vote/congress.aspx?bill=2009-hr-669"]http://www.govit.com/vote/congress.aspx?bill=2009-hr-669[/URL]

I voted, and I hope others will as well!

This would be awful if this were to pass!

-FHM

Is completely destroying an entire industry really the best thing to do considering the state of the economy these days? :rolleyes:

I'm all for the prevention of the introduction of nonnative species, but this is not the way to go about it.

Is completely destroying an entire industry really the best thing to do considering the state of the economy these days? :rolleyes:

I'm all for the prevention of the introduction of nonnative species, but this is not the way to go about it.
Maybe I am not understanding this right, I don't know as politics is not one of my strengths.

But why would you be for it? WE would loose so many neat and exotic species.

-FHM

...Because introducing exotic/nonnative species to any environment almost always causes severe damage to the native species? Look at what cane toads, rabbits and red foxes have done to Australia for an example.

Unless you misread what I stated, and think I support this bill, which I do not. I merely support responsible pet ownership.

I voted, but I agree with TylerFerretLord. Its the wrong way to go about it. But, we do really need some stricter guide lines on keeping exotic pets. The problems with invasive pet species like iguanas, tropical fish, camen, exotic snakes, parrots, ect.... have already shown the damage they can do on our native ecosystems. Especially in places down south. These animals all came from the pet trade. I highly doubt we will ever be able to full get rid of the wild populations humans have introduced. Its the same with the horticulture industry as well. I feel if a animal or plant can establish its self in an non-native area, and there is a possibility it could threaten the native ecosystem. It should not be allowed to be kept in that area.

...Because introducing exotic/nonnative species to any environment almost always causes severe damage to the native species? Look at what cane toads, rabbits and red foxes have done to Australia for an example.

Unless you misread what I stated, and think I support this bill, which I do not. I merely support responsible pet ownership.

Okay, sorry.

Yeah I was really tired last night when I posted, I understand what you are saying now.

Maybe someone should explain this bill to me a little more...lol.

-FHM

They use the phrase "Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act" to make it sound as if all the bill concerns is species identified as invasive. In reality it covers every tropical fish species. The US covers a wide range of climates, most of which are completely unsuitable for tropical fish to gain any sort of colonization. To be invasive it has to be able to survive and reproduce while causing damage to the local ecosystem.

If they determine a species can do this in say southern Florida, it is banned throughout the US. Nearly all tropical fish can reproduce in the southern Florida climate, this law will then cover all the states, regardless of the fact that these fish can in no way survive & reproduce in other areas.

Bottom line; Any tropical fish you can think of, until it is included on the list (so far goldfish are) will be illegal to transport across state lines, buy, sell, own, or breed. Your guppys, corys, plecs, cichlids, you name it, all illegal overnight.

I provided the links for a reason.

Read them.

This is a big problem.

It will shut down a hobby for most of us. It will eliminate a livelihood for many more people. Your LFS will shut down. The suppliers to the aquatic trade will shut down. There are many related industries that will be hurt by this.

While eliminating the impact of invasive species is a very good thing, this is a very wrong way of trying to go about it.

Made something people can post on other forums:

This bill, the "Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act" is going to make nearly all pets illegal. The bill proposes creating a list of animals that may be kept, imported, moved interstate or breed, and anything not on the list is illegal to do so with.

The criterion for the list is:
  • [li]Species identified to species level, and if possible information to subspecies level[/li]
    [li]Native range of the species[/li]
    [li]Whether species has established, spread, or caused harm to the economy, the environment, or other
    animal species or human health in ecosystems in or ecosystems similar to those in the US[/li]
    [li]Environmental conditions exist in the US that suitable for establishment of the species[/li]
    [li]Likelihood of establishment in the US[/li]
    [li]Likelihood of speared in the US[/li]
    [li]Likelihood species would harm wildlife resources of the US[/li]
    [li]Likelihood the species would harm native species that are “rare” (not defined) or listed under Endangered
    Species Act[/li]
    [li]Likelihood species would harm habitats or ecosystems of the US[/li]
    [li]Likelihood “pathogenic species or parasitic species may accompany the species proposed for
    importation;”[/li]
    [li]Other factors “important to assessing the risk associated with the species”[/li]

A few of the major problems with this bill:
  • [li]If something can damage the Hawaiian ecosystem, it will be illegal in every state. If something can damage the Alaskan ecosystem, it will be illegal in every state. All states are not created equally. What can damage ecosystems in one will die off in another. This is why there are state laws regarding this, such as the very strict Hawaiian laws.[/li]
    [li]As said above, state laws already deal with this.[/li]
    [li]It will absolutely destroy an entire industry overnight. Breeders will be out of jobs, pet stores will end up shutting down, companies that produce products that cater to pets will lose customers. Not exactly the best thing to do considering the economy.[/li]
    [li]There are private breeders of species that are extinct in the wild or critically endangered. Many african cichlids are endangered, and there are organizations in the US that promote the breeding of these fish in captivity.[/li]
    [li]It is impossible to prove that a species will or has not ever damaged native wildlife or established feral populations.[/li]
    [li]Overly vague terms. What constitutes a 'rare' species?[/li]
    [li]More here. And here.[/li]

Current 'legal' list:
any cat (Felis catus)
cattle or oxen (Bos taurus)
chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus)
dog (Canis lupus familiaris)
donkey or ass (Equus asinus)
domesticated members of the family Anatidae (geese)
duck (domesticated Anas spp.)
goat (Capra aegagrus hircus)
goldfish (Carassius auratus auratus)
horse (Equus caballus)
llama (Lama glama)
mule or hinny (Equus caballus x E. asinus)
pig or hog (Sus scrofa domestica)
domesticated varieties of rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus)
sheep (Ovis aries)

Things that will likely be illegal:
All tropical fish. Guppies, corydoras, plecostomii, marine fish, etc.
Hamsters and other domesticated rodents.
Ferrets.
Frogs, newts, salamanders, turtles and toads.
Insects and arachnids.
Hermit crabs and other crustaceans.
Many birds.

The US guys and galls should realy fight this, but it *may* be a good thing for us brits :shifty: With the US market closed, there will be excess supply at our suppliers, making for a drop in prices at our end while the suppliers fight to survive. This drop will be temperary, but welcome to the UK folk no doubt :shifty:

It's a good idea in principal, but it seems from linked docs that they have no way to implement or regulate it due to little funding in the sector. The "assumptions" seem a little off too.

If I could, I'd oppose it for these reasons.

Good luck to USA hobbyists in beating down this bill in it's current state.

(and sorry for mybad post of earlier (if it was deemed such) which seems to have been magically removed :D )

Even if they include all common tropical fish on the safe list, that would make rarer species even harder to get. It would be like crayfish keeping in the UK, except much larger and worse implications, and not even as necessary.

I really hope you guys manage to fight this.

I highly doubt this bill will pass, we already have a very high jobless rate in the US. This is concerning a lot of people. Passing a bill like this is only going to increase the jobless rate, buy putting a lot of people out of a job. Though I have not heard anything about this bill on the TV, if it was passed I'm betting that there will be outrage.

Most reactions

Back