Opinions on one gallon tanks?

Briggan

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hi!
Before I start, I would like to put out that this is not a plan and I have no intention of putting a betta into a one gallon tank, I’m only asking for others opinions on the subject, thank you!

I see a lot of fish, mostly bettas, put into small tanks. Depending on where you look, some sources say it’s ok to have a one gal betta tank, others do not. I would like to know your opinions one keeping bettas in one gallon tanks, provided it comes with a filter/heater.
Thanks!

Hi!
We have a 10 gallon for a betta. He swims all over and explores everywhere, going over, under, in between and through things. There is a log, 6 plants, floating salvinia and moss balls. We want to add more plants for him to satisfy his natural curiosity.

A one gallon would offer no swimming room and very little stimulation. The heater and filter would hardly fit, the fish may hurt himself on them. 2.5 gallon is absolute minimum for a betta, 5 gallon is more realistic; I think there is no place for 'fish' tanks smaller than this.

Hi!
We have a 10 gallon for a betta. He swims all over and explores everywhere, going over, under, in between and through things. There is a log, 6 plants, floating salvinia and moss balls. We want to add more plants for him to satisfy his natural curiosity.

A one gallon would offer no swimming room and very little stimulation. The heater and filter would hardly fit, the fish may hurt himself on them. 2.5 gallon is absolute minimum for a betta, 5 gallon is more realistic; I think there is no place for 'fish' tanks smaller than this.
Very true. The swimming space is important. Think about animals you've seen in cages. Didn't you want to let them out to run around ?

Swimming space is the most important thing.

No betta belongs in a 1 gal. Tank. Minimum size tank for a betta fish is 2.5 gal. Preferable size is 10 gal.

I hope this helps! :)

No fish should ever be kept in a tank that small. There just isn't enough room. My betta swims all over his 5 gallon tank all day long. As everyone else has already said, swimming space is important and such a small tank just doesn't offer enough room for any fish.

Well I had my Betta in a 2.5 tank. Now he is in a 32 gallon tank (Coralife BioCube 32) he is alone for now I might get more fish.

I use buckets to do water changes and they hold 2 to 4 times that amount of water.
My buckets cost me a couple of dollars. A one gallon tank costs how much ($10?).

Why spend that much money on a tiny glass receptacle when you can buy a bucket for significantly less, and the bucket holds a lot more water?

You can even buy plastic storage containers and they hold lots of water and are cheap as chips.

---------------------------
Personally, I don't think any pet shop should be selling tanks that hold less than 30 litres.

I had a friend, who has since passed away, who was very into Killifish. He spawned and raised many species of Notho's and others in those little plastic two quart critter containers. Absolutely amazing to see literally dozens of those things filled with healthy fish. His prized fish went into bigger tanks though.

It's possible, but not ideal or recommended. It's very difficult to keep a healthy and happy betta in tanks smaller than 2.5g.

Most reactions

Back