Onyx Sand

ICEEGRL

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I need to know if it is a good choice. I also need to know if I can mix it with my current gravel. I have small size black and white gravel. I think it would give a good look, but would it work for plants and bottom dwellers?
Any info appreciated :good:

I personally havnt had it but ive heard that some people didnt like using it because it compacted to easily and just didnt like working with it.

I really like Onyx sand, it's about the easiest to plant stems in and does not lock like Flourite, has a nice single color and growth is excellent. A few feel it's better than Flourite.

I've used it for many years. Since then, I've mainly switched to the ADA aqa soil as the sole substrate. Aqua essentials sells it in the UK, and the other Onyx from SeaChem.
For harder water plants, the Onyx has no other to compare to, whereas the ADA AS is great for the acid ranges, and flourite is a neutral substrate that is good for folks that uproot and move things around a lot.

Plain sand works, as does sand+ soil, but these designer substrates make things easier and nicer over time and are generally worthwhile iterms.

Regards,
Tom Barr

I need to know if it is a good choice. I also need to know if I can mix it with my current gravel. I have small size black and white gravel. I think it would give a good look, but would it work for plants and bottom dwellers?
Any info appreciated :good:

I have had a great experience with Onyx sand. I've had excellent growth and the plants look great on the dark grey background (although I have 4+ WPG and DIY CO2 Inject., so that may be to blame.) It took a while for the plants to root initially, but once rooted they stayed rooted and grew wonderfully. (Let me qualify that though: whenever I've mixed O.S. with another gravel the plants WOULD NOT stay rooted, it was a real pain).

O.S. is a bit on the expensive side (16-20 USD for a 17.5 bag) but I feel it is well worth it. I am sure you could mix up your substrate that would have similar results, but if you don't have the time or patience the O.S. is great.

I'm not sure how it would look with small black and white gravel, and, as I mentioned above you might not want to try mixing it because it could be a costly mistake.

As for bottom dwellers, I have to give it a good rec. The particles are small and rounded (rather than sharp) so bottom dwellers/feeders are fairly safe with it. I've got a cory that roots down in there all the time and I've seen no evidence of damage.

Overall I would recommend it, but with the qualifiers listed above (price, mixing, etc.)

- Mike

Most reactions

Back