One single white spot?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

P&BtheBetta

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've noticed just ONE single white spot today on my betta fish. It looks like it's levitating almost like I could flick it off easily. I have sand substrate and I was thinking if he got into it and it got stuck on him...?
Here's what it looks like:
1622772303081.png

There are no other white spots except for that single one. He eats fine, etc.
Does it look like ick? I'm thinking of waiting a few days and observing the spot or should I remove it somehow?
He lives in a split 10 gallon tank and the water paramters seem fine.
Please help! :(

I've noticed just ONE single white spot today on my betta fish. It looks like it's levitating almost like I could flick it off easily. I have sand substrate and I was thinking if he got into it and it got stuck on him...?
Here's what it looks like:
View attachment 137820

There are no other white spots except for that single one. He eats fine, etc.
Does it look like ick? I'm thinking of waiting a few days and observing the spot or should I remove it somehow?
He lives in a split 10 gallon tank and the water paramters seem fine.
Please help! :(
Hope he’s ok!! Can we get more details?
what at the levels of ammonia? Nitrite? Nitrate?
what tank mates does he have on his side and the other? Have you added any new fish to either side? Is it shared water with both sides? Has anything else changed including new tank placement, new heater, new filter and/or filter media (or cartridge)?

Hope we can help!

Hmm, yes. My old teacher's pet beta fish also has a spot on him. He's had it for a few months now and seems to be doing fine.

Hope he’s ok!! Can we get more details?
what at the levels of ammonia? Nitrite? Nitrate?
what tank mates does he have on his side and the other? Have you added any new fish to either side? Is it shared water with both sides? Has anything else changed including new tank placement, new heater, new filter and/or filter media (or cartridge)?

Hope we can help!

Thanks! I really hope so too. :)
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0-20 ppm

He lives with no other tank mates, just by himself. A female betta lives on the other side of the tank and she's been there as long as Blueberry himself (she has no sick symptoms). Yes, the water is shared with a black barrier with small holes. Nothing has changed, I still have my same sponge filter, heater, and the tank has always been downstairs. The only thing that really changed was when I rinsed out my sponge filter in old tank water a couple of days ago (last Saturday or Sunday I believe).

picture of the fish from the side?

I'll try to get one but since my betta is a darkish blue coloring and he always shows up as black on camera from the side- additionally, it makes the white spot barely visible at all. :/ I can try to change the lighting around a bit.

Update: It's gone. I wish I would've checked earlier to see what time it already dissapeared. It happened rather quickly- should I suspect ick? It's less than 24 hours definetly. I'm guessing it might be just a sand particle? I don't know whether I should be relieved or worried but he seems fine right now which is great. :)

Most reactions

Back